Baby tort fears the outdoors?

Mochi9

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
My 7 month-old Hermann's tort has been kept largely indoors since her arrival in October, due to the cooler weather and her tender age. Over the past few weeks, I have been trying to take her out briefly at least once per week if/when the porch is sunny and warm (reaches 80's in the sun). But we can barely manage for even 15 min at a time--because she full-on panics as soon as we hit the porch.
- If I move her outside while in her enclosure (i.e., move whole enclosure outdoors and set in half-shade and half-sun), she immediately buries herself and won't come out until we are back inside
- If I put her down on the porch for a (closely supervised) roam, she becomes visibly frantic and runs around aimlessly
- If I place her in nice warm soak water while outdoors, she tries to climb out
- She also refuses to eat while outdoors--not even her beloved radicchio!
When I bring her back inside after these brief excursions, she makes a beeline for the substrate and buries herself tight, as if she has just had the scariest experience of her life. Not a particularly shy tort under normal circumstances. Any ideas about how I can acclimatize this poor baby to the experience of being outdoors and soaking up much-needed sun rays? Thank you so much in advance for your advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 7 month-old Hermann's tort has been kept largely indoors since her arrival in October, due to the cooler weather and her tender age. Over the past few weeks, I have been trying to take her out briefly at least once per week if/when the porch is sunny and warm (reaches 80's in the sun). But we can barely manage for even 15 min at a time--because she full-on panics as soon as we hit the porch.
- If I move her outside while in her enclosure (i.e., move whole enclosure outdoors and set in half-shade and half-sun), she immediately buries herself and won't come out until we are back inside
- If I put her down on the porch for a (closely supervised) roam, she becomes visibly frantic and runs around aimlessly
- If I place her in nice warm soak water while outdoors, she tries to climb out
- She also refuses to eat while outdoors--not even her beloved radicchio!
When I bring her back inside after these brief excursions, she makes a beeline for the substrate and buries herself tight, as if she has just had the scariest experience of her life. Not a particularly shy tort under normal circumstances. Any ideas about how I can acclimatize this poor baby to the experience of being outdoors and soaking up much-needed sun rays? Thank you so much in advance for your advice.
You need a well planted large enclosure outside with lots of sight barriers and shade. Put her out for an hour or two and leave her alone. In time, she'll settle down.

Loose on the porch isn't safe. It also leave the tortoise feeling exposed and unsafe, as you've seen.

Its been too cold here in ATL lately. There hasn't been a warm enough day for this in weeks. Even the ground is too cold from the frosted nights. I was outside working in it all day too day. Too cold for tortoises. It barely got up into the 50s and that cold wind never stopped all day. Not good tortoise weather.

Mochi9

Atlanta, GA
You need a well planted large enclosure outside with lots of sight barriers and shade. Put her out for an hour or two and leave her alone. In time, she'll settle down.

Loose on the porch isn't safe. It also leave the tortoise feeling exposed and unsafe, as you've seen.

Its been too cold here in ATL lately. There hasn't been a warm enough day for this in weeks. Even the ground is too cold from the frosted nights. I was outside working in it all day too day. Too cold for tortoises. It barely got up into the 50s and that cold wind never stopped all day. Not good tortoise weather.
Thanks Tom. I will try again when the weather is warmer and will plan to set up a proper outdoor enclosure. Just to reassure all that I am not being negligent lol--our porch has a "greenhouse" effect when it is sunny and gets into the 80's with the sunlight, including on the floor, which is why I thought it might be OK for short excursions. As you point out, she does not agree . . .

Mochi9

Atlanta, GA
Remember, little tortoises are prey, and they know they are prey. So they hide
Yes, it is amazing how sensitive she is to this instinct even if taken outside while in the same enclosure she uses comfortably indoors. Fascinating creatures for sure.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes, it is amazing how sensitive she is to this instinct even if taken outside while in the same enclosure she uses comfortably indoors. Fascinating creatures for sure.
Instincts in babies be they turtle or tortoise simply amazes me. The best example of instincts. Hours out of the nest that instinct kick in.