Baby Tarantulas!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So, I jumped over to the TarantulaForum - and @Tom has a nice thread going there as well on this latest success sith plenty of pix. Ive tried to create an account, just waiting on the “confirmstion email” which seems to have gone into thin air.

Who knew there were so many types of Tarantulas!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, I jumped over to the TarantulaForum - and @Tom has a nice thread going there as well on this latest success sith plenty of pix. Ive tried to create an account, just waiting on the “confirmstion email” which seems to have gone into thin air.

Who knew there were so many types of Tarantulas!
I just checked the Tarantula forum and "maro2bear" is a member.

Dovey

New River, AZ
Check this out:
View attachment 278953

I'm officially a tarantula breeder now! This species is called the "Green bottle blue" tarantula. Chromatopelma cyanopubescens. I got the mom May of last year and the male a month or two after that. They reached maturity fairly quickly and here is the result! They really look like this. These are not photoshopped pics.
This is Dad:
View attachment 278954

Mom:
View attachment 278955

This is one of the few tarantula species that is colorful and simply gorgeous at all life stages. Most species are brownish/grayish as babies and get colorful as they mature, and some are gorgeous little babies and turn into brownish/grayish adults. In some species only one sex or the other gets pretty. In this species, both sexes are gorgeous from hatchling to adult, male and female. They are super easy keepers. They come from Venezuela and like DRY conditions. Dry substrate, low humidity. They just need a little water bowl. They tolerate heat well, and they are always hungry. I hate picky spiders. These guys always eat for me. They are a great "beginner" species, and also great for advanced keepers who just like a colorful pretty spider.

Let's talk tarantulas! Anyone else into arachnids? I have 182 new reasons to talk about spiders!
Beauty!!! I'm also a tarantula keeper, although not a breeder at this point. Too many tiny vials to feed! However, I am in New River Arizona, which is ground zero for the famous New River Rust Rump Desert Blonde (Aphonopelma chalcodes). So I've got that going for me....

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
So, I am terrified of all spiders/tarantulas (Cuz I'm a big sissy) and even though I can say those are SUPER PRETTY, they still sent a few good shivers down my spine! Good luck with taking care of all your babies! I wish I was braver and could do things like that! Scorpions and mantis I can do, but too chicken for spiders lol. I'm just weird i guess lol

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Ok Tom. So how many different types of animals do you deal with? It seems like every month you post about a new or different venture. Your truly an amazing dude. Busiest guy I’ve ever heard of, bar none. Do you have a number? Let’s say current and then all time

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok Tom. So how many different types of animals do you deal with? It seems like every month you post about a new or different venture. Your truly an amazing dude. Busiest guy I’ve ever heard of, bar none. Do you have a number? Let’s say current and then all time
My job is training animals for film and tv. Well... that was my job up until the government decided to end it last week...

All I do all day every day is work with animals. I have my own collection. My company has a whole bunch, and I work with lots of other animal providing companies, friends, and individuals that also have their own bunch of animals. There aren't too many that we can't get. I've done jobs with ants, roaches, worms, fish, chelonians, elephants, giraffes, zebra, a rhino, sloth, raccoons, ferrets, armadillos, wolves, lion, tiger, and bears, oh my, baboons, capuchins, chimps, orangutans, all types of snakes, all types of lizards, all types of spiders, butterflies, all types of birds from canaries to vultures, to eagles, to ostrich and emu, ravens, penguins, flamingoes, alligators, horses, goats, pigs, cows, rats, camels, kangaroos, foxes, beavers, porcupines, rabbits, alpaca, sheep, ducks, chickens, turkeys, mice, prairie dogs, wood chucks, skunks, skinks, leopards, servals, lynx, binturongs, hornbills, Gila monsters, crabs, eels, wax worms, bees, cats, attack dogs, deer, llama, wildebeest, geese, water buffalo, brahman bulls... I know there are more. I've been doing it every day since 1996. Its a job, hobby, career, pastime, interest, and passion all-in-one. If I didn't do it for a living, I'd definitely be some sort of weird hoarder.

So no, I don't have any idea what the number would be. Its got to be in the hundreds of species and thousands of individuals over the last 25 years.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I've been around and handled a few of those; my moms friend growing up worked for our zoo and handled the rhinos and etc, but owned some really cool things herself and lots of my family/family friends own various farms with random cool creatures, but no where near that amount of creatures! I think my favorite would have to be the giant fruit bat I got to take care of for a little bit! So jealous!!

JoeWells

Morro Bay
My job is training animals for film and tv. Well... that was my job up until the government decided to end it last week...

All I do all day every day is work with animals. I have my own collection. My company has a whole bunch, and I work with lots of other animal providing companies, friends, and individuals that also have their own bunch of animals. There aren't too many that we can't get. I've done jobs with ants, roaches, worms, fish, chelonians, elephants, giraffes, zebra, a rhino, sloth, raccoons, ferrets, armadillos, wolves, lion, tiger, and bears, oh my, baboons, capuchins, chimps, orangutans, all types of snakes, all types of lizards, all types of spiders, butterflies, all types of birds from canaries to vultures, to eagles, to ostrich and emu, ravens, penguins, flamingoes, alligators, horses, goats, pigs, cows, rats, camels, kangaroos, foxes, beavers, porcupines, rabbits, alpaca, sheep, ducks, chickens, turkeys, mice, prairie dogs, wood chucks, skunks, skinks, leopards, servals, lynx, binturongs, hornbills, Gila monsters, crabs, eels, wax worms, bees, cats, attack dogs, deer, llama, wildebeest, geese, water buffalo, brahman bulls... I know there are more. I've been doing it every day since 1996. Its a job, hobby, career, pastime, interest, and passion all-in-one. If I didn't do it for a living, I'd definitely be some sort of weird hoarder.

So no, I don't have any idea what the number would be. Its got to be in the hundreds of species and thousands of individuals over the last 25 years.
Hahaha! That’s CRAZY! What an interesting life. I bet you were a kid who had frog in your pocket at all times. Super cool man. I’m jealous

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been around and handled a few of those; my moms friend growing up worked for our zoo and handled the rhinos and etc, but owned some really cool things herself and lots of my family/family friends own various farms with random cool creatures, but no where near that amount of creatures! I think my favorite would have to be the giant fruit bat I got to take care of for a little bit! So jealous!!
Oh I forgot bats, chinchillas, guinea pigs, hamsters, mantids, finches, frogs, salamanders, beetles...

When I was a kid and people asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, my standard answer was: "I want to do as little work for as much money as possible." Boy did I find it! It all just sort of happened. I went to work in pet shops as soon as I was old enough, became a dog trainer in my late teens, did wholesale tropical fish after high school, and discovered the movie business while in college in an Exotic Animal Training and Management program that I'd found.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hahaha! That’s CRAZY! What an interesting life. I bet you were a kid who had frog in your pocket at all times. Super cool man. I’m jealous
No WAY! Wrong conditions for a frog in my pocket. I kept them in a variety of glass tanks. And I'd raise upside of the tad poles I'd find, head start them, and re-release them where I'd found them. My poor mother...

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
So question, what was the most difficult animal for you to work with? It can be for any reason. That just all sounds so awesome!
And sorry to here about the temp no work. I'm a groomer and I'm non essential too. Kinda hurts your feelers lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How many times have you appeared on TV or in a movie while working? I've seen you once.
Dozens of times, but I'm usually stunt doubling some other character and you aren't supposed to be able to see that its not them. If you go frame by frame in "Spiderman 3" at the part where the dog knocks the Sandman up against the fence while he's escaping from the plant, you can clearly see my face for just a second. Same with the pitbull attack on "No Country for Old Men". That was my first Oscar winner that I know of. I did a dog attack on The Walking Dead, but I was wearing a mask. That laired last season. I just did one recently where I am a K9 cop and they just made me a character, but I'm not allowed to share details until after the episode airs. They always make us sign an NDA now.

Every once in a while they interview me as an "animal expert", or the animal trainer on a show for behind the scenes stuff. Friends and family have called me on those occasionally. I did one for the history channel about what would dogs do if the human race just disappeared one day. I did one with the "Ancient Aliens" guy about bombardier beetles.

I get a stack of SAG residual checks every month. Most of them are for a few dollars or a few cents, but I just got my first one for one penny. I get paid again and again for jobs I did more than 20 years ago. Its usually very small dollar amounts, but it adds up over time, and it pays my union dues at the least. When I die, that residual money will go to my next of kin. When they die, it will go to their next of kin. Its kind of cool.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
The crazy haired guy in ancient aliens!? Hahahaha!that's awesome! If you see him again ask what gel he uses! ?
And that is really cool!