Baby Sulcatas Enclosure - hapky

AgataP

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Since Herbie’s arrival he has been provided with a close chamber enclosure as recommended. He seemed super happy in his 32in long and 16in wide enclosure. However every time I looked at it I knew this is not something that he can thrive in.

After reading many, many posts over here, reviewing enclosures on the forum, online and taking all the advice from great members over here (thank you to all especially @Tom ), I took a trip to Home Depot and made the enclosure all by myself.

The enclosure is 2ft by 4ft.
With a small plexiglass cut out as I wanna see my little guy and he comes up to it and looks at me and the dog.

The idea is pretty simple and very functional.
Here are some pictures.
The total cost was about 150$ in materials.
I did buy precut plywood which is slightly more expensive than getting a big sheet - just didn’t wanted to deal with measuring and cutting it. Bottom has a thick layer of black foil to somewhat protect the wood.
I have decided not to paint the enclosure inside with any waterproof paints etc. mostly to avoid any chemicals inside.
The enclosure itself won’t be used for super long so I figured it will be fine.
later I flip it over remove the plexiglass and use it as a housing element.
I am not a master builder but I do like how the enclosure tuned out.
It holds the temperature nicely and same goes for humidity.
The only thing I will be adding is isolation on the top cover to reduce the heat escape.

25D235AC-3D79-45C5-8CE9-E127AF98C433.jpeg7BBE019F-9B66-49D9-8B0F-6527C9496706.jpeg5C67885E-2252-4066-8D6C-468B4BCB3086.jpeg42520486-B57F-4F35-987F-1BA80694BEC3.jpeg289B5021-BCF4-4378-9481-717EB45F49F9.jpegD41E26C4-EAB3-410E-A3F1-922F15AEC957.jpeg

Since now I know where is the right spot for the lights and CHE I will be adjusting the cords etc.

Thermostat is one of my favorite things so far.
I also have a wirelessly controlled power outlet, that will allow me to turn everything off in case of emergency (Herbie flips - turn the heat lamp off, etc. Thank you @Krista S for your suggestions).
Camera just arrived and will be installed tonight.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to send it over to me.
Thank you !!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For not being a master builder, I think you did great! My first attempts were no where near that good!

My suggestion would be to add more coco coir, and firmly hand pack it down. And then switch to orchid bark when you can find it.

I'm very happy for you and your tortoise. The success stories like yours are the reason I do what I do. Thank you for sharing this info.

:)

AgataP

Seattle, WA
For not being a master builder, I think you did great! My first attempts were no where near that good!

My suggestion would be to add more coco coir, and firmly hand pack it down. And then switch to orchid bark when you can find it.

I'm very happy for you and your tortoise. The success stories like yours are the reason I do what I do. Thank you for sharing this info.

:)

Thank you Tom!
Found a feed store that sells the orchid bark - I will go pick it up.
Is it ok to pack the coco and put orchid on top or 100% switch? It is packed pretty firmly now - these are pictures from two days ago when I was just adding it.
Hope it will be a success - he is 45g today.
Helping me with yard work as we speak.
BBED609A-3900-4B37-9909-DBCA3870DABA.jpeg

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Thank you Tom!
Found a feed store that sells the orchid bark - I will go pick it up.
Is it ok to pack the coco and put orchid on top or 100% switch? It is packed pretty firmly now - these are pictures from two days ago when I was just adding it.
Hope it will be a success - he is 45g today.
Helping me with yard work as we speak.
View attachment 305028
That is such an adorable photo, he’s like “Get in my belly!”