Baby Sulcata Yellow Brown Pee

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Have you checked the University of Minnesota? They may have someone who specializes in reptiles.
Thank you, but the request was for a gal living in South California. I have my wonderful vet here in MN, but did actually use the U of MN for an intricate surgery on my dog, Tidus, a couple years ago!

Sa Ga

MN
@Madkathq , just checking in! Have you been able to find anyone? How is your little critter doing?

VJRDuran

Brooklyn Park
Thank you, but the request was for a gal living in South California. I have my wonderful vet here in MN, but did actually use the U of MN for an intricate surgery on my dog, Tidus, a couple years ago!
May I inquire who and where your vet is? I'm looking for one for future needs.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
@Madkathq , just checking in! Have you been able to find anyone? How is your little critter doing?
So the vet appointment was yesterday, they said both of the babies were looking healthy. It seemed like they were checking the way I would check though, which wasn't as in-depth as I would've liked. They offered to do tests on a stool sample so I'm waiting for those results. They gave me some mazuri tortoise diet to mix with the greens (I had been thinking about buying some, so score!). But I'm glad they think he is doing well

Sa Ga

MN
The kidney issue won't be identified by a fecal test. It takes a blood test. When I got Morla, I didn't ask for one and she seemed fine enough. A month later, she peed her brown pee and we found her CKD.

Has her pee cleared up? Keep them very well hydrated and watch for gritty urates (the white stuff that comes out with the pee). That's definitely telling you they need hydration asap.

Sa Ga

MN
May I inquire who and where your vet is? I'm looking for one for future needs.
Are you in MN too? I see Dr. Amy Kizer at Lexington Pet Clinic. She's actually also a staff vet for the Mall of America's Sea Life, and Emily from Snake Discovery also sees her.

VJRDuran

Brooklyn Park
Are you in MN too? I see Dr. Amy Kizer at Lexington Pet Clinic. She's actually also a staff vet for the Mall of America's Sea Life, and Emily from Snake Discovery also sees her.
Yes, I am in Minnesota. Thank you. My daughter is a fan of Snake Discovery

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
The kidney issue won't be identified by a fecal test. It takes a blood test. When I got Morla, I didn't ask for one and she seemed fine enough. A month later, she peed her brown pee and we found her CKD.

Has her pee cleared up? Keep them very well hydrated and watch for gritty urates (the white stuff that comes out with the pee). That's definitely telling you they need hydration asap.

Pee is cleared up, had between 1-4 pinworms though so I have a follow up appointment

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
@KarenSoCal so I was told by one person there initially to wait it out, but then the doctor and I spoke today (tomorrow is the follow up) and said they were planning to give me the medication already so I was confused I guess.

Of course, do what the vet recommends. He will have a reason for his approach.

I was just mentioning that they often don't treat it so if that's what happened, you would be prepared.

I certainly didn't want to add to your confusion.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So they just wait till it's an infestation?
I don't think it works that way.

Apparently it is normal for torts to carry pinworms. Maybe they eat something that is detrimental to the tort.

I have read about not treating it here on the forum. Then, when I took Chug for a wellness exam, they found a few pinworms, and the vet said "we don't treat just a few".

Maybe the worming med is rather harsh on the tort? I don't know.

Let's find out.
@Markw84
Why don't vets treat for light loads of pinworms?

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
I don't think it works that way.

Apparently it is normal for torts to carry pinworms. Maybe they eat something that is detrimental to the tort.

I have read about not treating it here on the forum. Then, when I took Chug for a wellness exam, they found a few pinworms, and the vet said "we don't treat just a few".

Maybe the worming med is rather harsh on the tort? I don't know.

Let's find out.
@Markw84
Why don't vets treat for light loads of pinworms?
Yeah, because my tort is getting medicine tomorrow and I would like to understand this more. I feel like I got mixed signals from the vets office. :(

Sa Ga

MN
Yeah, because my tort is getting medicine tomorrow and I would like to understand this more. I feel like I got mixed signals from the vets office. :(
I guess I would weigh the risk. We know the benefit and I would want it if possible and not dangerous.

Sa Ga

MN
Are the pinworms readily visible? I've never seen any from Morla, but maybe I just didn't look closely enough!