Baby Sulcata Outside

Nanalingle

Location (City and/or State)
SUMMERVILLE
My Baby Sulcata is 2 months old and doesn't seem to like to go outside. I try and take him out a few times a week but he just hides. Today temp outside is 92 and he was moving very fast in his enclosure then blowing bubbles from his mouth. Is this normal?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My Baby Sulcata is 2 months old and doesn't seem to like to go outside. I try and take him out a few times a week but he just hides. Today temp outside is 92 and he was moving very fast in his enclosure then blowing bubbles from his mouth. Is this normal?
The bubbles say that he got overheated. Babies should not ever be in a 92 degree day. Here's some reading material for you. What don't you post some pictures of your set up so we can tell you what you are doing wrong...:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not normal. You nearly killed him. The outdoor enclosure must be heavily shaded and have damp substrate for evaporative cooling in hotter weather. Bubbles like that are the last ditch effort to cool before overheating and dying.

Its totally normal for babies to hide and be nervous outside. Time, familiarity, and size will all make your tortoise more comfortable outside, but you have to have a properly designed enclosure that keeps them safe and at the correct temps. Allow ample hiding areas, shade and cover. Your baby will come out when it wants to.

Be sure to soak extra long for a few days to rehydrate your baby.

Nanalingle

SUMMERVILLE
Not normal. You nearly killed him. The outdoor enclosure must be heavily shaded and have damp substrate for evaporative cooling in hotter weather. Bubbles like that are the last ditch effort to cool before overheating and dying.

Its totally normal for babies to hide and be nervous outside. Time, familiarity, and size will all make your tortoise more comfortable outside, but you have to have a properly designed enclosure that keeps them safe and at the correct temps. Allow ample hiding areas, shade and cover. Your baby will come out when it wants to.

Be sure to soak extra long for a few days to rehydrate your baby.

Nanalingle

SUMMERVILLE
Thank you all. he was only outside for 15 minutes and there are 2 shaded areas and water as well. No more outside for him. He seems fine now that I brought him in

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It was in the low 90’s here in Maryland yesterday. For grins i used the IR temp sensor on our wooden deck and the boards were 130, the aluminum siding 140. Sooo, have to be careful out there in the sunshine. ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all. he was only outside for 15 minutes and there are 2 shaded areas and water as well. No more outside for him. He seems fine now that I brought him in
Outside time is good for them and necessary, you just have to have deep shade and a cooler retreat available. Add some shade and cover, maybe a potted plant or two to the enclosure and use a temp gun and a digital thermometer all around to assess temps and see what you can do to make it safe. Do this without the tortoise in the enclosure. When the shade, plants and temperatures all seem good, then you can put the tortoise outside for an hour or two, but watch the temps closely. Its fine to have them outside on 92 degree days. That is a good daytime ambient for a baby sulcata. I get their temps that high in their indoor enclosures. You just have to be sure that the sun isn't overheating the whole enclosure and the tortoise has little retreats built in where it can get away from the heat. You can also sun earlier in the morning or later in the day when its cooler, though UV levels are much lower early or late in the day when compared to mid day levels.