Baby Sulcata Only Sleeps And Avoids Food

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Please post pics of your tort as well as his enclosure. This would enable us to help you much more easily..:)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I also have a feeling that my lamps may melt the shower curtain
Can you wrap foil around the lamps? You don't need to punch holes. There is enough air exchange from when you open it up to take him out for soaks.

Taylor Sweet

Indiana, USA
A tip I have is to go buy a bunch of plants. Real plants are best, just make sure you plant things that are safe for them to consume. If you want to go the fake route, I like to buy plastic ferns and plants for my tortoises at craft stores. You’re gonna have to get plastic plants that are well-made and won’t fall apart. You also need to test them with your fingers/nails to make sure your baby tort won’t be able to take a bite out of them. Your tortoise will probably try to eat them at first, but as long as they’re thick enough, he won’t be able to actually ingest anything. My tortoises have fake plants and it only took them a matter of minutes to realize that they aren’t edible. It’s important to have lots of things in the enclosure that obstruct their view. It’s scary for a baby tort to walk out into the open with nothing to shield them. They like to climb on things, hide under things, etc. In the wild, you’re not gonna see babies just walking in an open field to get picked off by animals. Just make sure that whatever you get is clean. That means that the plants should be organic and safe for sulcatas (if you choose real plants). If you chose fake plants, make sure you wash them really well before you put them in. And make sure there aren’t any wires that could hurt the baby

Taylor Sweet

Indiana, USA
IMG_1511634303.916781.jpgIMG_1511634316.660227.jpgIMG_1511634334.510751.jpg
Here are examples of the decorations I like to use. They’re a lot cheaper than going to a pet store and buying fake plants. I can usually get these for about $3 each. I also like to go hiking and find sticks and rocks to make their enclosures more interesting. Just make sure you wash everything really well. IMG_1511634431.785906.jpg

Taylor Sweet

Indiana, USA
Also when you add plants, make sure your tortoise can’t use them to climb out. My tortoises will often use their plants to attempt to escape. And my older tortoise actually has gotten out. So you need to make sure your plants are low enough/far enough away from the sides of the terrarium. In addition you really need more substrate. Tortoises like to burrow down under the mulch to sleep. I have about 2.5-3 inches of mulch in my tortoise’s terrariums.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
So.. uhh... how is heat gonna get in there? When I said to build a cover, I meant build one that also covers the heat lamps...

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Yeah, that really isn't going to help. The idea is to trap heat in, not trap heat out. You will likely need a frame of some sort to cover the lights.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ah, sorry, can't get a pic. But it's basically just a giant triangular prism shaped frame made of wood, but you can use pretty much any material.i just covered the frame with a shower curtain. It goes over the entire enclosure, including the lights.

Henrym1111

Florida
Hey sorry I haven't been on the forum (FOR A LONG TIME) She now weighs 203 grams I got everything straight and shes at 6 months and once again, I'm kinda worried, isn't 203 grams too much for 6 months?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hey sorry I haven't been on the forum (FOR A LONG TIME) She now weighs 203 grams I got everything straight and shes at 6 months and once again, I'm kinda worried, isn't 203 grams too much for 6 months?
Sounds like a good weight to me! Mine is 4 and a half months and weighs 165 grams.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

That’s great! I was starting to worry lol