Baby sulcata mouth rot healing??

Nicole edwards

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
i have a baby sulcata tortoise and he was diagnosed by a vet with mouth rot. He has been on antibiotics for 4 days now and I have been applying antibiotic ointment to the site for 6 days now. It looks much better but it has started turning a dark color and looks like a scab almost. He is still eating perfectly normal. So is this dark scab a sign of improvement or not?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see what's troubling you. All I notice is stained skin. Because the tortoise has to open his mouth to eat, I would continue to put the ointment on that area to keep it soft so it doesn't break open again. And cut the food up in small pieces so he doesn't have to open his mouth very wide to eat.

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
I don't see what's troubling you. All I notice is stained skin. Because the tortoise has to open his mouth to eat, I would continue to put the ointment on that area to keep it soft so it doesn't break open again. And cut the food up in small pieces so he doesn't have to open his mouth very wide to eat.

Sorry I'm just paranoid and want him to be healthy! The yellow on the part closer to his beak is actually pus instead of food but I will continue the treatment! Thanks!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never encountered this issue with a tortoise so I have no experience to offer you, but good appetite is usually a sign that things are okay.