Baby sulcata in kidney failure

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hello I'm new to the forum! I have a baby sulcata tortoise that was given to me as a wedding gift. Everyone knows I love tortoises! I have 4 red foots as well. I got blood work done on my sulcata which indicated he's septic & in severe kidney failure & it's been nearly 2 months & he's still hanging in there. However he doesn't move much, eat, or open his eyes very often. His legs are swollen too :-( I soak him 4 times a day for almost 15 - 20 mins a day. I have a nice size plastic container he's in with a Mercury vapor bulb. I use paper towel & timothy hay as substrate at this time. I've taken him in numerous times for tube feeding due to him being on meloxicam, baytril & calcium carbinate & since he's not eating, I'd want something in his tummy with all that medicine. However, he occasionally is interested in his food but is so weak he can't really eat. Anyways just wondering on suggestions & any experiences from others with kidney failure. I also stopped giving my tortoise Baytril after a month, after researching this drug. Would love any feedback! Thank you!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man that sucks . The only thing I can tell you is to get him outside for an hour or so . Keep his enclosure no lower than 80º . Soak him as much as possible and add baby food to the soaking water . Like carrots or you can use Pedialyte in the soak .

Reptilelove

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
I hope everything works out well and that you baby gets better, I mean that from the heart :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Thanks guys! I never thought of adding baby food to his water while soaking! Thank you so much :) also when it's nice outside I get him out for sure, but this summer has been pretty chilly!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh no :( I'm very sorry for the little guy.
Just make sure he has a warm humid environment, and maybe try a something special, like a bit of fruit, to tempt him.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Thanks you...I'm surprised he's still alive to be honest!! Some days are better than others. He's having a pretty good day today. His eyes are open & he's more active today. I hope he makes it to be a big ol' sulcata...I really love this little guy!!!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you post pictures of the enclosure? Let us know the temperature and humidity levels . I have been thinking maybe that bright mvb lamp is burning his eyes making him hide . This is just a guess . I use 40 watt lamps from Wal-mart for day time heat then a che at night .For uvb I use a t8 24" 10.0 fixture .

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Can you post pictures of the enclosure? Let us know the temperature and humidity levels . I have been thinking maybe that bright mvb lamp is burning his eyes making him hide . This is just a guess . I use 40 watt lamps from Wal-mart for day time heat then a che at night .For uvb I use a t8 24" 10.0 fixture .

Ok...I'm not sure how to post pictures on here. I did some research & I found that you have to have a photobucket account. Is that true?

kball

Ok...I'm not sure how to post pictures on here. I did some research & I found that you have to have a photobucket account. Is that true?

If u have the app for your phone ipad or ipod u can look up your thread on there and add them from your camera roll. That's how I do it anyways.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hello I'm new to the forum! I have a baby sulcata tortoise that was given to me as a wedding gift. Everyone knows I love tortoises! I have 4 red foots as well. I got blood work done on my sulcata which indicated he's septic & in severe kidney failure & it's been nearly 2 months & he's still hanging in there. However he doesn't move much, eat, or open his eyes very often. His legs are swollen too :-( I soak him 4 times a day for almost 15 - 20 mins a day. I have a nice size plastic container he's in with a Mercury vapor bulb. I use paper towel & timothy hay as substrate at this time. I've taken him in numerous times for tube feeding due to him being on meloxicam, baytril & calcium carbinate & since he's not eating, I'd want something in his tummy with all that medicine. However, he occasionally is interested in his food but is so weak he can't really eat. Anyways just wondering on suggestions & any experiences from others with kidney failure. I also stopped giving my tortoise Baytril after a month, after researching this drug. Would love any feedback! Thank you!!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
If u have the app for your phone ipad or ipod u can look up your thread on there and add them from your camera roll. That's how I do it anyways.

Thanks for your help!!! I'm still learning how this forum works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The best thin for kidney values that are off is fluids. Electrolytes in pedialyte has lots of sugars which can throw some difficulties into the animal. You need to soak him an get fluids from a vet, like ringers or sodium chloride. The little guy being so small your going to have to give orally as by injectable drip will be very difficult. Being so young it's gotta be reversible and have a hopeful positive end result. For now keeping him warm but very hydrated is key. Soak 3-5 times a day. Spray food down is he's eating. Offer very high fiber and calcium rich foods

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
He eats very little on his own. I put a scoop of baby food carrots in his lettuce & he did take a bite of it & walked away. Another thing is that his feet are swollen were he cut up his feet & legs so bad from his spikey shell. Now he only has a few toenails left. Will he re-grow nails? This poor guy has been through so much!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That set up is all wrong. Get him some substrate and that round temperature/ humidity gauge chunk that sucker in the trash . Get you a big tote from Wal-Mart for like 20 $ put six inches of coco choir and put your water bowl and hides back in . Then get you a digital meter from Wal-Mart for 10$ so you can read the right temperature and humidity . Cover the top and cut a hole just big enough for lighting . This should work to keep temperature and humidity up . If he is to cold he will not eat or move very much .

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Ok sounds good!! The only reason I took out substrate was for his legs to heal. His legs & feet were cut up but they are healing niceley. I do have a digital thermometer too. But will definitely change his husbandry!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hatchling failure syndrome or "beef jerky syndrome" sounds like a possibility with this guy, too.

Search for those terms here on the forum to read more about it.

Where did this guy come from? (before he was a wedding gift) How was it kept/housed in it's first days or weeks of life?

Read the Sulcata caresheet to make sure you set this baby up correctly and give him the best fighting chance.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hatchling failure syndrome or "beef jerky syndrome" sounds like a possibility with this guy, too.

Search for those terms here on the forum to read more about it.

Where did this guy come from? (before he was a wedding gift) How was it kept/housed in it's first days or weeks of life?

Read the Sulcata caresheet to make sure you set this baby up correctly and give him the best fighting chance.
I never heard of the "beef jerky syndrome" but researching I sure did come across the hatchling failure syndrome. He was bought from an exotic reptile pet shop. I also found some good stuff on the sulcata station. It's just hard to know what to do & what not to do. He's so small. My red foots are so hardy!! This little guy is breaking my heart!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Go to the top of the sulcata section and follow Tom's care sheets . I think you just have him set up wrong .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcatas are just as hardy, if not hardier than RFs, IF they are started correctly and housed correctly. Sadly, most people, including breeders, think they are "desert" animals and house them far too dry. This kills their internal organs and no amount of money or vet care can save them. Sulcata babies hatch during the RAINY season over there. Its hot, humid, marshy and it rains frequently. Yes the area is dry for 8-9 months of the year, but they are underground in humid burrows during that time, and that is NOT when new babies erupt from the ground.

Please read these for a better explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Oh WOW!!!!!! Thank you so much for this information!! I will most definetly turn his house around!! I don't even get knowledge like this at the vet :(! Thank you again for your help!!