Baby sulcata housing

The crab man

Location (City and/or State)
MILLEN
Does anyone know if baby sulcatas can be kept in open enclosures. Before I got my tort I saw alot of people doing it, so that's the route I went. But now I've seen several people say babies should be kept in closed enclosures if this is the case then I will create a new enclosure today

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Baby sulcatas should be in a closed humid environment. They need the humidity to grow properly. wish I could remember how to copy a location, anyway, go to the species specific area, under African torts, Sulcatas. There are care sheets that will guide you on caring for your baby property. Good luck

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio

I think I got it

The crab man

MILLEN
Baby sulcatas should be in a closed humid environment. They need the humidity to grow properly. wish I could remember how to copy a location, anyway, go to the species specific area, under African torts, Sulcatas. There are care sheets that will guide you on caring for your baby property. Good luck
thank you I will be setting up a closed environment today as soon as stores start opening

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
thank you I will be setting up a closed environment today as soon as stores start opening
Think big...they will grow fast... there are lots of good and different ideas here on the forum that people have used over the years,,,just don’t waste money on expensive pet store tanks or such that are way too small...

The crab man

MILLEN
Think big...they will grow fast... there are lots of good and different ideas here on the forum that people have used over the years,,,just don’t waste money on expensive pet store tanks or such that are way too small...
Thank you do you have any specific recommendations?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does anyone know if baby sulcatas can be kept in open enclosures. Before I got my tort I saw alot of people doing it, so that's the route I went. But now I've seen several people say babies should be kept in closed enclosures if this is the case then I will create a new enclosure today

If your open topped enclosure will be sitting in a room that is always over 80 degrees F, and always over 80% humidity, then an open top would be fine. Outside of that unlikely scenario, it is difficult or impossible to maintain the correct growing conditions for a baby sulcata with an open topped enclosure in a normal room.

Most of the care info for this species, and most others too, is old and outdated. We've been doing it wrong for decades based on old, incorrect assumptions of how and where they live in the wild. We know better now, but most sources of info have not kept up with the newly learned info and are still parroting the old, wrong info. This makes it very difficult for someone starting out, even after they have done hours of research trying to learn everything they can. The majority of the info found doing internet or book research is simply wrong.

This being the case, it is very fortunate for you and for your tortoise that you've found us! :)

In addition to the link that Cheryl left for you, read these two as well:

Questions and conversation are welcome.

The crab man

MILLEN
If your open topped enclosure will be sitting in a room that is always over 80 degrees F, and always over 80% humidity, then an open top would be fine. Outside of that unlikely scenario, it is difficult or impossible to maintain the correct growing conditions for a baby sulcata with an open topped enclosure in a normal room.

Most of the care info for this species, and most others too, is old and outdated. We've been doing it wrong for decades based on old, incorrect assumptions of how and where they live in the wild. We know better now, but most sources of info have not kept up with the newly learned info and are still parroting the old, wrong info. This makes it very difficult for someone starting out, even after they have done hours of research trying to learn everything they can. The majority of the info found doing internet or book research is simply wrong.

This being the case, it is very fortunate for you and for your tortoise that you've found us! :)

In addition to the link that Cheryl left for you, read these two as well:

thanks for the help, i really have learned a lot since ive found this forum

L

LasTortugasNinja

We need to market a Google hub or Alexa knockoff for tortoise owners... We'll call it the Tortoise Outstanding Monitor or "T.O.M." for short... vocal operation too... wondering about that radicchio? "Hey Tom, can I feed this to my tortoise?!" T.O.M.: "You can feed small amounts to your tortoise, but please check the humidity. Also, you haven't read the FAQs in three weeks. You need to brush up on knowledge!"

"Hey Tom, what's the weather today?" T.O.M.: "It is currently 75 degrees. It is too cold for your hatchling, but you can take out several species. Would you like me to list them?"

;)