Baby Sulcata food

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Are there any places that sale bags of different things a baby will eat? I have been using the organic spring mix and a few other things and Abrams will barley touch it.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks and I put this on the wrong thread so sorry admin. I did feed from the yard for a while but it just got treated for the winter and I don't want to feed any thing that could be toxic

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Sulcata's are grazers, so they need to eat weeds like ( @Tom has this big list of all these great weeds and things :D )dandelion (and variations) and plantain. Grass is always a go to food!(if he'll eat it, which should be a goal) Does he always eat spring mix?
I just saw you post! Places like TortoiseSupple sell seed mixes of yummy weeds, and even grass like Bermuda (YUM) that you can plant... I have some, and they grew sooo fast, nice and bushy now!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I looked on tortoise supply and they have a few different things, thoughts on the herbal tortoise hay?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I've had many of their seeds, but my favorite is the Italian dandelion :D Everybody loves it!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I looked on tortoise supply and they have a few different things, thoughts on the herbal tortoise hay?
I've heard people who get that and sprinkle it over food. It's beneficial. Can you grow seeds where you live? My weeds are growing like crazy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Their herbal hay is great.

Here is my list:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Anyone who owns a tortoise should not have a yard that gets "treated for winter". I don't know what chemicals were just put on your grass, but that is a tortoise keepers number one place to get and grow their own food. Especially for a grass eating sulcata. Time for you to choose if you want to have a nice green, weed free lawn, or a sulcata...

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I have a over 100 acres in the country for food, with a big plot. However while my Sulcata is young and its winter it will stay in my house in town. I'm just looking for foods that I can put away in the house for now.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
and I know your respected and very knowledgeable on this topic. I can still have a nice place in town and put fertilizer on my lawn and own a tortoise.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
and I know your respected and very knowledgeable on this topic. I can still have a nice place in town and put fertilizer on my lawn and own a tortoise.

Tom was informing you to be cautious of what weeds and grass you give to your tortoise. Your tortoise could die if it eats something with the wrong chemicals on it. Some have had to learn the hard way and he doesn't want that to happen to you or anyone. It's better for him to have said it instead of not doing so and wondering if it should have been mentioned. You absolutely can have a tortoise and a nice lawn! Grass is just a great option and has great fiber in it. When your sulcata gets bigger, grass is a great food source that they can graze on like cows all day if they want, creating a not so pretty lawn that many sulcata members have.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I'm jealous that you have so much land and you know how it has been treated, not to mention space for your sulcata! I live in a town that has a lot of country areas, with a jaw dropping amount of edible weeds. I just don't know what it's been treated with, so its not worth trying to feed it.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I totally understand that, That's why after winter and its gets bigger I will move it to my pasture. In the meantime I wanted a few ideas to help with food. It was 30 outside the other day, most of the grass and weeds will die soon and I will have to buy food anyway.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Cool! Thanks for being open and not getting offended. Hopefully you can figure something out for easy access to food for your baby(?).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I stand corrected. If your tortoise will not set foot in your yard and gets its food from other areas, then all the lawn chemicals in the world won't hurt a thing. Not as far as your tortoise is concerned anyway...

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Haha thanks Tom, You have been a huge help to me with a lot of stuff about my Sulcata and I appreciate it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Haha thanks Tom, You have been a huge help to me with a lot of stuff about my Sulcata and I appreciate it.

I'm glad I could help, and hope to continue, if you need it! :)

But I'm still not putting any chemicals on my lawn... :p