Baby Sulcata Enclosure Lights Safe ?

Location (City and/or State)
SPRING HILL
Are my uvb and basking bulb positioned at the correct height ? The tank is 48 L 18.5 W and 22 H. Also night temp gets to 78-79 How do I raise it , at night I use one CHE 60 w . During the say I use uvb and 175w heat lamp/basking from hardware store. Also I recently purchased Timothy grass hay , is this good to start feeding him ?

Attachments

• 20211012_134736.jpg
    20211012_134736.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are my uvb and basking bulb positioned at the correct height ? The tank is 48 L 18.5 W and 22 H. Also night temp gets to 78-79 How do I raise it , at night I use one CHE 60 w . During the say I use uvb and 175w heat lamp/basking from hardware store. Also I recently purchased Timothy grass hay , is this good to start feeding him ?
You'll need a higher wattage CHE, or preferably a second 60 watt CHE on the other side, to keep night temps up.

It would be much better, and cheaper, to use a lower wattage basking bulb and hang it inside the enclosure. Then you could also cover the top better to prevent more heat and humidity loss.

UV tube should also be inside. Its probably too far away to benefit the tortoise at that distance.

Dry hay is for adult sulcatas, not babies. I don't like the Timothy because it is too stemmy. When your tortoise gets to be around 12 inches, you can begin to introduce Bermuda grass hay or orchard grass hay to the diet. For now, stick to tender young freshly sprouted grass.

SPRING HILL

You'll need a higher wattage CHE, or preferably a second 60 watt CHE on the other side, to keep night temps up.

It would be much better, and cheaper, to use a lower wattage basking bulb and hang it inside the enclosure. Then you could also cover the top better to prevent more heat and humidity loss.

UV tube should also be inside. Its probably too far away to benefit the tortoise at that distance.

Dry hay is for adult sulcatas, not babies. I don't like the Timothy because it is too stemmy. When your tortoise gets to be around 12 inches, you can begin to introduce Bermuda grass hay or orchard grass hay to the diet. For now, stick to tender young freshly sprouted grass.
Awesome thank you so much .