baby sulcata dog attack

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
no, he died on Thursday. I buried him 2 days ago in my front yard because I don't want my sisters dog to dig him up. I actually considered him as a child of mine, so this was really upsetting.
I’m so sorry, this was a horrible experience for you but you will be a better animal keeper for it. Don’t give up on torts because of this.

Wenelkins

San Antonio, Texas
I am sooo sorry for your loss. Trust me when I say i know exactly how you feel. I had 2 Sulcatas that I inherited that were raised together (Frick and Frack). After reading so much here on the forum I finally worked on getting something set up outside. I have always let them roam around outsides but only when I was them and my dogs never once were aggressive or ever did anything to make me fear that my babies could get hurt. So the 2nd day I had them in their outdoor set up I went inside for a while and my dogs came in with me. I wasn’t afraid to leave them because I thought my babies were too big and heavy now for my dogs to get them even if they wanted to. Boy was I wrong. My dog apparently was able to get the smaller one in his mouth. I still don’t know how he did it but he carried him in his mouth down the stairs in the yard and broke off the side of his shell. I rushed him to the emergency hospital here where there was an exotics expert. She told me that part of his lung was exposed and that she wanted to do everything she could to save him but that she had just lost one a week ago that had been in better shape than mine. She gave him less than a 20% chance and suggested that the best thing for him was to put him down. You don’t even know the guilt until this happens to you. So I feel your pain and your guilt. Now I’m not sure I’m the person to be raising this beautiful majestic creature because I think I am way over my head...but I know one thing...he will not be going outside to any enclosure until I am sure it does not expose him to danger and my dogs are not allowed anywhere near him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You can have your dog(s) around your tortoise nothing wrong with that. Just not alone with them.

XionandKingpin

Arizona
I’m so sorry, this was a horrible experience for you but you will be a better animal keeper for it. Don’t give up on torts because of this.
Thanks for all the support. My whole family loves tortoises but not as much as me and my dad (his tortoise is 8 years old, his name is Kingpin). I am definitely not going to give up on tortoises, they're too cool to forget B)

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I think a Vet is in order. If his shell is compromised he could get bad infection, he may die, I think he would be in pain. I’m sorry. My info is from Dr Kaye Exotic Pet Vet. She’s seen quite a few for this
Im so sorry this happened. The tort is in shock and pain. Please get him help ASAP.