baby sulcata dog attack

XionandKingpin

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
my sister left my tortoise outside with her dog and she attacked my sulcate tortoise named Toothpaste.
He was apparently upside down for a long time, and when I found him he was COVERED with mud and the top of his shell is dented/cracked a bit and I think some red flesh is coming out...every now and then I see a bit of blood oozing out and going back in. Toothpaste seems okay, he's just sleeping a lot. I'll see if I can put up a photo later. This is my first time dealing with a tortoise injury, any suggestions because right now I just have him covered in a clean rag...;-;

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
He is very likely not okay depending on the severity of the wound. For now, make sure you’ve cleaned the wound, and have the tortoise on paper towels.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep him warm and clean and yes, a vet visit is needed.
Then let your sister know that no matter what size your tortoise is, big or small and no matter the size or age or calmness of the dog, the two should never ever be left alone without 1000% uninterrupted supervision.
Good luck hope your tort makes it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If you have a tortoise and a dog, especially a small tortoise, and you leave them together all the time and the tortoise is always "perfectly OK", it's because the dog is waiting until he just feels like it.

XionandKingpin

Arizona
The top of the shell is probably the worst place to get damaged, tortoises lungs are located directly under the carapace and are covered with a membrane, the fact that the tortoise is bleeding means that their is a chance the teeth penetrated through. Personally I would go to a vet ASAP
thanks a lot for the help! gonna take your advice cuz he doesn't seem too awake rn

WIN_20190606_13_27_08_Pro.jpg WIN_20190606_13_27_19_Pro.jpg WIN_20190606_13_27_12_Pro.jpg

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
thanks a lot for the help! gonna take your advice cuz he doesn't seem too awake rn
Ok how soon can you get to a vet?

That looks like a deep wound, I would definitely seek emergency vet care if this was my tortoise. Keep it clean, that wound is at high risk of infection, I can imagine your dogs saliva is in that wound and possibly something horrible dogs like to eat. Please keep us posted.

Does the tortoise react when you gently touch its eyes and gently pull its limbs?

Obbie

Minnesota
my sister left my tortoise outside with her dog and she attacked my sulcate tortoise named Toothpaste.
He was apparently upside down for a long time, and when I found him he was COVERED with mud and the top of his shell is dented/cracked a bit and I think some red flesh is coming out...every now and then I see a bit of blood oozing out and going back in. Toothpaste seems okay, he's just sleeping a lot. I'll see if I can put up a photo later. This is my first time dealing with a tortoise injury, any suggestions because right now I just have him covered in a clean rag...;-;

I think a Vet is in order. If his shell is compromised he could get bad infection, he may die, I think he would be in pain. I’m sorry. My info is from Dr Kaye Exotic Pet Vet. She’s seen quite a few for this

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
He is very likely not okay depending on the severity of the wound. For now, make sure you’ve cleaned the wound, and have the tortoise on paper towels.
I see that you are in Arizona, but not the city. If you are anywhere close, please take toothpaste to Dove Valley Animal Hospital in Cave Creek, AZ. Ask for Dr. K. Their address is 4815 E Carefree Highway. It's in the building behind the fast food place. Telephone 480-595-5731; that is also the emergency number. They are open 7 days a week. Dr K saved my Joey, and he was in really bad shape when we brought him in. He is a fabulous reptile (and other pets also) vet. Do not delay!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I see that you are in Arizona, but not the city. If you are anywhere close, please take toothpaste to Dove Valley Animal Hospital in Cave Creek, AZ. Ask for Dr. K. Their address is 4815 E Carefree Highway. It's in the building behind the fast food place. Telephone 480-595-5731; that is also the emergency number. They are open 7 days a week. Dr K saved my Joey, and he was in really bad shape when we brought him in. He is a fabulous reptile (and other pets also) vet. Do not delay!
Thanks for the detailed contact info. Hopefully it will help

sc
How is your tortoise doing, is he still alive? Sorry that happened I've had a similar situation happens where my dog got my baby sulcata

XionandKingpin

Arizona
How is your tortoise doing, is he still alive? Sorry that happened I've had a similar situation happens where my dog got my baby sulcata

no, he died on Thursday. I buried him 2 days ago in my front yard because I don't want my sisters dog to dig him up. I actually considered him as a child of mine, so this was really upsetting.