Baby Sulcata Diet Help! and other questions

Squeak!thesulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello! I have had my Sulcata, Squeak, for almost a year. I got him on January 12th of last year. I have some questions regarding his diet and care from this point on, and have some concerns about his overall health. If you guys could maybe help me out that would be very appreciated!

Ok, this following paragraph will contain a lot of information, but from what I can tell you guys need that to give me help. So here goes! Squeak is almost a year old, and the same size as he was when I got him. That's where the concern comes in. He is kept in an open-topped tub. He has a UVB bulb and a 150watt heat bulb on his basking area. All of the temps are in range for what is suggested on this website. His humidity is low, but we have 2 humid hides to try and allow him the moisture he needs. We are in the process of building a closed cage for him that will be done around January for his birthday. He gets soaks daily for about 30 minutes. His diet is various vegetables chopped finely and mixed together, topped with chopped up hay and grass for extra fiber. He also occasionally gets pelleted food. He never eats more than a couple of bites a day, and I am wondering, how much should he be eating a day? He is a little under three inches long and is the size of a hatchling. I can post a picture in a little bit when he gets his morning soak (he isn't awake yet). I have an exotic vet in my area and am also wondering would it help to take him to the vet? Thank you!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Question: you state that the temp are within recommended ranges. How are you measuring those temps, and are they consistent throughout the enclosure? Humid hides are great, but we need to ensure that the overall humidity level throughout the enclosure is at least 80% for a tort that young, and the top should be covered to maintain the levels. What specific lighting are you using (what type bulbs)? You mention vegetables in his diet. Have you read the recommended feeding guide for sullies? They are grazers, meaning grasses and weeds primarily. Fruits and vegetables are to be given VERY sparingly, if at all (I never feed them to mine). What type of pelletized food are you giving? How often and for how long are you soaking him? As far as how much food to give, I usually start out by giving a pile roughly 1.5 times the size of my tort, twice a day. There should be a little left over after each feeding. If too much is left over, then reduce the amount and vice versa. In addition to your tort pic, can you upload a pic of the enclosure too? One last thing: where or from whom did you receive this tort?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please be sure to read the pinned threads at the top of the Sulcata section, especially the How to Raise a Healthy Sulcata. They will be very helpful for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First questions are: How much does he weigh. and where did you get him?

Also, can we get a pic of the enclosure?