Baby Sulcata acting a little sluggish.

Mcturtle

Location (City and/or State)
Fontana CA
Hey everyone, I’m a little new to this so excuse me. I have a baby sulcata and recently I feel like he’s been sleeping way more than usual. Even outside where he usually walks around he just sits there and closes his eyes. He’s been eating like normal, just seems more sluggish. Is this because of the weather changing and I need to change the lighting or something?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hey everyone, I’m a little new to this so excuse me. I have a baby sulcata and recently I feel like he’s been sleeping way more than usual. Even outside where he usually walks around he just sits there and closes his eyes. He’s been eating like normal, just seems more sluggish. Is this because of the weather changing and I need to change the lighting or something?
Hi and welcome. We're gonna want pictures of your habitat with your lighting, humidity, substrate. Are you using a spiral bulb?

nicoleann2214

NY
What bulbs are you using? Temps? What type of enclosure, what substrate? What’re you feeding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Most people start these babies all wrong, and then tell the buyers (you) all the wrong housing info. We'll need more info to help, but realize that most of the care info out there is wrong, and we will try to help you get it all right.

Where did you purchase the baby? Do you know how it was started?

Here is the correct care info to get you started. If your set up is different than what is listed here, we can help get you on the right track.

Mcturtle

Fontana CA
What bulbs are you using? Temps? What type of enclosure, what substrate? What’re you feeding.
I’m feeding him dark green stuff like romaine and kale, he also eats Outside grasses. Lives in a terrarium with those woodchucks or chips.

Attachments

• 28C3A505-0ED6-426F-8CC8-750370D4B6FE.jpeg
    28C3A505-0ED6-426F-8CC8-750370D4B6FE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Mcturtle

Fontana CA
Hello and welcome.

Most people start these babies all wrong, and then tell the buyers (you) all the wrong housing info. We'll need more info to help, but realize that most of the care info out there is wrong, and we will try to help you get it all right.

Where did you purchase the baby? Do you know how it was started?

Here is the correct care info to get you started. If your set up is different than what is listed here, we can help get you on the right track.
Yeah I kind of have noticed that. There’s no consistent answers. It’s a little frustrating. I bought my baby at a local pet shop. Thanks

Mcturtle

Fontana CA

Attachments

• 882B117C-7C46-4A53-AC01-1FDAA8B757CF.jpeg
    882B117C-7C46-4A53-AC01-1FDAA8B757CF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 58A35158-D565-443F-B844-24E40C8FEFFD.jpeg
    58A35158-D565-443F-B844-24E40C8FEFFD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 34252CAC-1ABC-4556-8241-7D336982E841.jpeg
    34252CAC-1ABC-4556-8241-7D336982E841.jpeg
    529.8 KB · Views: 25
  • B3D01CDF-E1FA-4CEB-BAD8-1F9C53CEE11A.jpeg
    B3D01CDF-E1FA-4CEB-BAD8-1F9C53CEE11A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I noticed that too. But he opens them fine when awake. What do the eyes say or mean?
Some bulbs have hurt hatchlings eyes or just blinded them. It happened to a hatchling I had. But that was with spiral bulbs. And you don't have those bulbs

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do his look sick or wrong?
The best thing I could tell you is to forget everything you've read on the internet and heard from pet stores, and read the care sheet I linked for you. That is all the correct info to get your baby healthy. It took me decades to figure all that out. All you have to do is read it and follow it.

Mcturtle

Fontana CA
The best thing I could tell you is to forget everything you've read on the internet and heard from pet stores, and read the care sheet I linked for you. That is all the correct info to get your baby healthy. It took me decades to figure all that out. All you have to do is read it and follow it.
Thank you so much. I’ll do that.