Baby Start Tortoise very weak and not eating

Skyh3ck

Location (City and/or State)
India
Hello guys

I have two baby start tortoise,

one is eating fine, walking, and all good, but another one is not growing and is very weak, when i bought it he was ok, but lately stopped eating and not opening eyes, he only opens eye in water and in sunlight, i keep them both in same condition but one is growing fine and doing well however other one is not growing and getting very weak

i give them one hour of sunlight daily and regular vegetable, both in same condition

the sick one shell is very weak, when i touch it, it feels like very thin paper and his weight is very very low

what to do, please help, i feel he may die if not done something

Mitesh mokariya

Mumbai
Hello guys

one is eating fine, walking, and all good, but another one is not growing and is very weak, when i bought it he was ok, but lately stopped eating and not opening eyes, he only opens eye in water and in sunlight, i keep them both in same condition but one is growing fine and doing well however other one is not growing and getting very weak

i give them one hour of sunlight daily and regular vegetable, both in same condition

the sick one shell is very weak, when i touch it, it feels like very thin paper and his weight is very very low

I think separate that star tortoise it might be possible that another tortoise would be bullying him/her . And immediately take that ill tortoise to vet n give him/her antibiotics to tortoise
And try force feeding

Mojavejaz

Phoenix/Las Vegas
Did it work? Did the little guy survive ? I've got a four month old star that is showing the same signs and I'm running out of things to try to bring it back to health.

Samyak Dadda

India
Hello guys

Listen I have two star tortoises too
try giving them lady fingers [bhindi] they love it and indian star tortoises don't fight.
try keeping them in their habitat palced in sunlight and keep them warm but not too much.
and love them ,give them attention.

don't soak them in water daily or they can catch cold.

please do see a vet if possible ASAP!

I hope that he gts well!

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
try giving them lady fingers [bhindi] they love it and indian star tortoises don't fight.
try keeping them in their habitat palced in sunlight and keep them warm but not too much.

I hope that he gts well!
Dont soak them??

Samyak Dadda

India
Dont soak them??
Not too much especially not in winter because both of my tortoises caught cold and when i asked a vet he said not to soak them for more than 10 minutes.
During summer we must soak them for 10-15 minutes maximum.
If your tortoises like water then it's fine.
It depends on your tortoise and your environment too!!
Do what you have been doing if they are fine.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

I hope that he gts well!

This information is incorrect. They absolutely do need warm soaks for proper hydration, and it seems to perk them up.
Tortoises should never, ever be kept in pairs, regardless of the species.
They should really have a heat lamp a ceramic heat emitter for night heat with a constant temperature, but outside time is good for uvb.
Please give these a read, and don’t spread this information to anyone else.
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hello guys

If they are still alive, we need much more information.
What are your temps? Basking, warmside, cool side, and night?
What is your humidity?
What do you feed?
Can we see pictures of your tortoises and enclosure?
This might be the problem-"Hatchling Failure Syndrome"
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/"Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome".23493/
Give these links a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I soak him as per your recommendation
Dont worry
I just asked him that
But i feel that i dont know much so i dont give advices
But i dont follow him
I am giving him soaks for 4 to 5 times altogether for 30 minutes..

That’s a great soaking schedule!

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
i dont know much about tortoise but i definitely knows that every living creature needs water and if they are with you,then it is yours responsibility to give them needed environment, food and mostly the water...

Melis

Maryland

I hope that he gts well!
Hi and welcome to the forum! It's great that you joined and will be able to get lots of info to help take care of your torts properly. Please read up on the care sheets and try to refrain from giving advice until you have learned from this forum and the members who have years and years of experience. Much of the info you have given in this post is incorrect, and that can be confusing to those trying to help their torts.

Samyak Dadda

India
Hi and welcome to the forum! It's great that you joined and will be able to get lots of info to help take care of your torts properly. Please read up on the care sheets and try to refrain from giving advice until you have learned from this forum and the members who have years and years of experience. Much of the info you have given in this post is incorrect, and that can be confusing to those trying to help their torts.
Sorry everyone!
I just forwarded the information given to me by a vet.
Hopefully, now I know what's right. Thanks!
and Sorry again!

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
I went to a zoo and there were lots of Stars. Sorry I couldn't get a better picture.

IMG_20180304_152705.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Samyak Dadda and @Dipa

Have you read this post?

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

I think it will help you understand quite a bit more about how we are keeping stars successfully.

In regards to soaking...

I think it is very important. I soak my younger stars 30 - 60 minutes each day. That is in one soaking, not split into a few sessions. I feel a longer soak is quite beneficial as it not only helps with hydration, but it should also ensure a good period of getting their core body temp to where it is optimal (30°-32°) but it also should stimulate activity and get them moving and scrambling around the tub trying to get out.

I check the water temperature of the soaking tub and start with water that is 35°-37°. I need to change the water as they will poop in it or when it cools down to 30° and refresh with clean water that is at least 35°. I have the water deep enough to come up to where their costals meet their marginals. I use an opaque tub and prefer the concrete mixing tubs as they have curved ends. I use this time to clean their enclosure - refreshing their drinking water and putting in new food for the day so it will be there when they get put back in - this is when they should be most active and have an ensured, proper core body temperature for activity and eating.

I like to soak a minimum of 30 minutes. Normally I go about an hour. I like to see them pass waste and see what that looks like. This also helps keep their enclosure clean as they are emptying their waste here. I want to see them get active and scramble about. Some people see this as them "hating" their bath, but I see it as good activity with good body temperatures. Most people do not have the room to give a tortoise all the exercise it needs. In our enclosures, they often may not feel the need to explore and are more sedentary. I feel the bath time is like putting my tortoises on a tread mill and ensuring their daily exercise. This is extremely important to good growth and metabolism.

Please soak your tortoises!

Dipa

Mahesana,Gujarat,India
@Samyak Dadda and @Dipa

Have you read this post?

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

I think it will help you understand quite a bit more about how we are keeping stars successfully.

In regards to soaking...

I think it is very important. I soak my younger stars 30 - 60 minutes each day. That is in one soaking, not split into a few sessions. I feel a longer soak is quite beneficial as it not only helps with hydration, but it should also ensure a good period of getting their core body temp to where it is optimal (30°-32°) but it also should stimulate activity and get them moving and scrambling around the tub trying to get out.

I check the water temperature of the soaking tub and start with water that is 35°-37°. I need to change the water as they will poop in it or when it cools down to 30° and refresh with clean water that is at least 35°. I have the water deep enough to come up to where their costals meet their marginals. I use an opaque tub and prefer the concrete mixing tubs as they have curved ends. I use this time to clean their enclosure - refreshing their drinking water and putting in new food for the day so it will be there when they get put back in - this is when they should be most active and have an ensured, proper core body temperature for activity and eating.

I like to soak a minimum of 30 minutes. Normally I go about an hour. I like to see them pass waste and see what that looks like. This also helps keep their enclosure clean as they are emptying their waste here. I want to see them get active and scramble about. Some people see this as them "hating" their bath, but I see it as good activity with good body temperatures. Most people do not have the room to give a tortoise all the exercise it needs. In our enclosures, they often may not feel the need to explore and are more sedentary. I feel the bath time is like putting my tortoises on a tread mill and ensuring their daily exercise. This is extremely important to good growth and metabolism.

Please soak your tortoises!
I know the importance of bath and soak
But he is just stubborn
If i put him in water he finds a way to escape from it
There is maximum 15 min on today That he stays in a water that long
He doesnt hate it
But just dont spend a full half hour in it.
Is it bad to gave him soak multiple soaks?