Baby RES

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My nephew just got two baby(not much larger than a quarter) red eared sliders. I have raised snakes most of my life, some lizards and I am planning some tortoises. But I have little experience with res. I understand that it is illegal to sell them under 4", but this pet store and another in this area both are selling these tiny turtles.
Here is the problem. They gave him no info at all. I am rpetty sure it is because they don't even know what they are doing. When I went to check them out they were just sitting there. He said they sleep all the time. He had no heat source at all. The tank was at around 70 degrees. I got him a flood lamp and the basking temp is only up to 80 now. I am waiting for him to call me so I can tell him to mov up one size bulb to bring the temp up more. Is there anything else he can or needs to do for them? Or is it too late?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Well yes it is illegal for them to sell them as pets when they are under 4" but they do it anyway. As for the turtles, the water temp is the most important and being they are so tiny you need the water to be 80 degrees, you do this with a water heater (w/o glass is the best) but anything is better then nothing at this point. They need an area to get out of the water, which sounds like you already have one. They need a min of 15 gal tank right now, but when they get full size they need to be in a pond or a 200 gallon tank (depending on sex).

caresheets are http://www.anapsid.org/reslider.html http://redearslider.com/ http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm I would feed daily since they are babies, once they are 3-4" go every other day for food. 25% turtle pellets (I like reptomin - when comparing ingredients)(plus they have baby ones), 25% protein (rosey reds, guppies, earthworms, red wigglers, mealworms, 50% plant matter (greens, veggies, fruit)

Just remember they need 10gals of water per inch of shell and a extra 5 gallons for the second one. They grow quickly so buy bigger first, also invest in some really good water filters I use fluvals but there are some other good ones out there. I also use internal ones to keep the water flowing. Just remember the cheap ones they sell for turtles, and the ones over the back for fish tanks are junk for turtles and the water will smell, so definatly get the better filters - it is worth it. If you need anything else let me know, good luck. And remember to tell him they are a commitment they live over 30 years, and you can not release them into the wild!!

chris

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you. I will write what you said for him. I also printed a couple diff. care sheets. They are in a 10 gallon. I guess I will go buy him a bigger aquarium since I know he doesn't make much money.lol.
I am glad that he is truly trying to give them a good home. Just wish he would have done research ahead of time. He just assumes since I have raised reptiles all my life that I know everything about all of them.lol. I may bug you guys more about it.
Thank you.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Bug away - no problem, my suggestion would to start with a 30 or 55 gal, then go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.