BABY REDFOOT WONT EAT HELP ME

sammlovesredfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, AZ
So I recently bought a baby red foot tortoise from a website called tortoise town. Came in the mail very healthy doing great. About a week later I get a package and it’s another baby red foot that I didn’t order. The second one that came hasn’t eaten since I’ve gotten him about a week ago but the first guy I got is eating just fine. The second guy is pretty active, hides when he wants to but he spends a lot of time baking under the heat lamp. He drinks a lot of water I just can’t get him to eat. Anybody have any suggestions? The humidity in my enclosure is a always between 70-75% temperature around 85-88 degrees.

Attachments

• 587FDA3B-3820-4D4B-B70F-51161B73677D.jpeg
    587FDA3B-3820-4D4B-B70F-51161B73677D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • DE10E9F3-EC7D-41D6-9A75-E1C5C1C5DA1D.jpeg
    DE10E9F3-EC7D-41D6-9A75-E1C5C1C5DA1D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What did they say when you contacted them about receiving a tortoise you didn't order?

What are you trying to get them to eat?

I had some YF babies that wouldn't eat. Here's what I did:
Chop up mixed greens into small pieces (endive, escarole, romaine, edible weeds, ec.)
mix in some Gerber strained fruit baby food until all the greens are coated (banana, pear, mango, etc)
On a different day instead of Gerber fruit, pour the juice off a can of cat food over the greens and mix in well.

sammlovesredfoot

Glendale, AZ
What did they say when you contacted them about receiving a tortoise you didn't order?

What are you trying to get them to eat?

I had some YF babies that wouldn't eat. Here's what I did:
Chop up mixed greens into small pieces (endive, escarole, romaine, edible weeds, ec.)
mix in some Gerber strained fruit baby food until all the greens are coated (banana, pear, mango, etc)
On a different day instead of Gerber fruit, pour the juice off a can of cat food over the greens and mix in well.
I give them mixed greens, tortoise food that’s been moistened with water, hibiscus leaves. I’ve only had them both for a couple weeks now. I emailed the company but I have yet to get a response. I actually don’t even know how old he is or if he actually is a male or female. He came with no information

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot have a few foods that almost always trigger them to eat.
Try cut up strawberry. The red coloration helps.
And mango. I've had incredibly sick Redfoot come back after eating mango.
Luckily both of those are available right now at the grocery store and are perfectly fine for a Redfoot.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If he still "drinks a lot" but wont eat...
Soak him in warm water with some carrot, sweet potato or mango baby food mixed in.
When he drinks the water, he'll take in some nutrients too.
That will often get a tortoise back in action.

sammlovesredfoot

Glendale, AZ
If he still "drinks a lot" but wont eat...
Soak him in warm water with some carrot, sweet potato or mango baby food mixed in.
When he drinks the water, he'll take in some nutrients too.
That will often get a tortoise back in action.
Thank you so much! I will try everything you guys have suggested:) thanks for being so kind