Baby Redfoot Tortoise Plastron

Aces1719

Location (City and/or State)
Wadsworth
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a baby redfoot tortoise from a local reptile convention and I don't know exactly how old he is. He's a tiny guy. I've only had him for a couple days now and I noticed while soaking him today that in the middle of his plastron, it is soft. When I very gently push on it, it gives alittle kind of like pushing on a plastic lid on a container. Is this normal? This is the first baby tortoise I've ever owned. All my other torts were grown adults when I got them, so I'm used to the very hard shells tortoises are know for lol.

His temps are on the warm side 80-85f and on the cool side 75f. At night it mever drops below 73f. His humidity I try to keep around 70-80%.

Thanks for any advice that can be given!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes if he is still very young that sounds normal.
Please read and follow the RF caresheet.
Be sure the top substrate layer stays dry while the underneath is damp. They need high 80% humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a baby redfoot tortoise from a local reptile convention and I don't know exactly how old he is. He's a tiny guy. I've only had him for a couple days now and I noticed while soaking him today that in the middle of his plastron, it is soft. When I very gently push on it, it gives alittle kind of like pushing on a plastic lid on a container. Is this normal? This is the first baby tortoise I've ever owned. All my other torts were grown adults when I got them, so I'm used to the very hard shells tortoises are know for lol.

His temps are on the warm side 80-85f and on the cool side 75f. At night it mever drops below 73f. His humidity I try to keep around 70-80%.

Thanks for any advice that can be given!
Totally normal.

Your temps are too low. No lower than 80 at night or during the day. Shoot for 82-86 all day. Are you using a closed chamber? You should be. That's the only way to maintain the correct temps and humidity, unless you live in a tropical jungle and have no windows on your house.