Baby Red Foot won’t eat

Cali1123

Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield
my baby red foot arrived yesterday from CB reptiles. I live in California so the humidity isn’t that high and I try to raise its humidity with misting and using Cypress mulch. I have a humid hide that contains orchid moss. I’ve soaked my tortoise twice today and twice yesterday in warm water. It pooped the first but hasn’t since then and it always drink the water. I took it outside today and yesterday to get some sunlight ( about 15 min yesterday and about 25 min today) it roams outside exploring and inside it roams a bit in its enclosure,but usually sleeps most of the time. The enclosure is around 80 degrees but I have a basking spot that reaches about 95 and it likes to bask there and sleep sometimes. I do have a UVB light but I keep it in the near corner because I read Baby Red Foots don’t like much light and that too much UVB can cause blindness. I’ve tried to feed him Leafy Greens like Kale and Collard but it only took a tiny nibble. Then I tried blueberries and a slice of banana but it also just took a nibble of the banana and that’s it. He’s very small and it appears to be in good health but when it arrived it had two very small dents on the top of its shell. I’m just not sure why it won’t eat ? I read that maybe it’s just shy and trying to get used to the habitat ? but I would really like some advice because I thought tortoises usually eat right on the spot.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
He needs to get settled. He's been through a lot and now you are moving him from place to place, dunking him in and out of water. I'm not trying to be mean but only trying to show you all the turmoil he's experiencing. I would leave him in his enclosure and soak him only once a day for at least a week leaving him food if he wants it.

Cali1123

Bakersfield
He needs to get settled. He's been through a lot and now you are moving him from place to place, dunking him in and out of water. I'm not trying to be mean but only trying to show you all the turmoil he's experiencing. I would leave him in his enclosure and soak him only once a day for at least a week leaving him food if he wants it.
Oh okay I understand, it’s just a lot of the forums I’ve read here say that the baby Red foots need to be bathed like twice a day for about 15 minutes atleast. I’ll try to grab his less frequently for he can settle in.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Oh okay I understand, it’s just a lot of the forums I’ve read here say that the baby Red foots need to be bathed like twice a day for about 15 minutes atleast. I’ll try to grab his less frequently for he can settle in.
Make sure the humidity in his enclosure is where it needs to be while he's settling and he'll be ok with the one soak while he settles. After a week I would go back to the 2 soaks if you want

Cali1123

Bakersfield
Make sure the humidity in his enclosure is where it needs to be while he's settling and he'll be ok with the one soak while he settles. After a week I would go back to the 2 soaks if you want
The humidity might be a tad bit lower than the 80% I need, but I’ve tried to make that up by misting his cage and him twice a day and having a humid hut that has orchid moss. If that’s not enough I’ll be sure to get plexiglass or some type of cover to try to make a closed chamber.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
The humidity might be a tad bit lower than the 80% I need, but I’ve tried to make that up by misting his cage and him twice a day and having a humid hut that has orchid moss. If that’s not enough I’ll be sure to get plexiglass or some type of cover to try to make a closed chamber.
You will have a lot less work to do if you make it a closed chamber. Open chamber just can't hold the humidity for very long.

Cali1123

Bakersfield
You will have a lot less work to do if you make it a closed chamber. Open chamber just can't hold the humidity for very long.
Yup, Ima try to do that asap. I’ve noticed the cypress mulch I use which is for its bedding feels damp and I’m not sure if that’s just the humidity or if it’s a tad too much misting

Cali1123

Bakersfield
I was also wondering if I could put a damp towel over 2/3 of the enclosure to keep in humidity ? I read that some people use this and it works perfect but I was just wondering if you have had any experience with it ?