Baby Red Foot: Possible MBD

CatWolfandTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale
Hi All,

Havent been a member very long but long time researcher in the forum and this is my first post. Background: I am a vet technician for companion animals currently but used to work with native and non-native wildlife residing in south Florida for over 3 years. I usually rescue and raise multiple litters of opossums, squirrels and kittens throughout the year.
First-time tortoise owner, I met a breeder and actually asked her if she had any she didnt think would be sellable. I have read alot of posts on the site about MBD but I cannot find my specific case anywhere and just hoping for some guidance.

History: Hatched end of January. 4/19: 52 grams, shell length a little over 2". Original message stated he was eating well and active but his shell was a little flat and back legs stuck out more often compared to siblings.
Findings: Ambulatory x 4, BAR, no sneezing or diarrhea, Pooped during soak, middle scutes on carapace slighted indented, middle of plastron very pliable in my opinion. Does tend to leave legs out when relaxed (eg. when soaked & when using opposing leg). Abnormal gait: leaves unused hind leg extended, and maybe even longer on the right hind leg - like a limp. I tried to get relavent pictures.

He is currently in a large plastic bin (Official enclosure arrives next weekend) with cypress mulch, spagnum moss in hide, dandelion greens, water dish, heat/UVB lamp.
Working on keeping humidity constant - spraying up to 95%, dips to 70%. Temp: low 80s in hide, 90 on hot end. I know both will not be perfect until I setup his proper enclosure.
Took him out for 2 hours of sun, spent most of time in hide though; soaked for 30 minutes.

Any advice is apprecited. Thanks in advance!

L_Scutes.jpgLegs_Out.jpgOriginalPic.jpegPlastron.jpgR_Scutes.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He's missing a Vertebral Scute. I think that's what makes him look a little wonky. He's still got his egg tooth so he's fairly young. Far too young to have developed MBD. He's got some good grow lines. If you get him setup properly he should be fine.

CatWolfandTortoise

Fort Lauderdale
He's missing a Vertebral Scute. I think that's what makes him look a little wonky. He's still got his egg tooth so he's fairly young. Far too young to have developed MBD. He's got some good grow lines. If you get him setup properly he should be fine.

Thanks for the reply! Puts my mind at ease a bit. I did notice the posts I read about MBD were about older reptiles but I got paranoid after the breeder seemed to be so worried herself that this would be an unsellable tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite a few folks prefer the tortoises with abnormal or aberrant scute patterns. Your little guy is missing the second from the tail vertebral scute, and in the fold between that scute and the next, there's an extra scute over on the right side. He's special! I love him.

CatWolfandTortoise

Fort Lauderdale
Quite a few folks prefer the tortoises with abnormal or aberrant scute patterns. Your little guy is missing the second from the tail vertebral scute, and in the fold between that scute and the next, there's an extra scute over on the right side. He's special! I love him.

I am all about the different and unique - kind of what drew my interest to red foots originally..This just makes me even happier he ended up with me! Thanks for pointing out how special he really is!