Baby red foot diet advice!

RedFootTortAz

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello everyone! I have a baby red foot that’s just a couple months old. I have been feeding him a wide variety of greens and fruits. But my questions is involving protein! I have been feeding him some hard boiled egg once a week or so. I want to offer other high quality proteins such as some type of worm or bug. Does anyone have any suggestions on safe proteins for a young red foot? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• AC13EB2A-502D-41F7-821C-97E6FA021183.jpeg
    AC13EB2A-502D-41F7-821C-97E6FA021183.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Superworms mixed in Mazuri.
Catfood.
Beef or chicken meat or liver.
It's almost endless.
I actually chopped up a Kosher beef hot dog left over from a BBQ last week and tossed it into my females pen.
My girls loved it (Redfoot)
Redfoot are natures vacuum cleaner. They can eat things that would kill some other tortoises.
The fact that they have such a huge variety of foods that they can eat makes us keepers very fortunate.
Mix it up. Get creative in your feedings. Variety is key. It'll add enrichment to your tortoise and your relationship with it.
Most proteins that your family eats can to some extent be offered to your Redfoot in moderation.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I do chicken, shrimp, tuna, sardines, Earthworms, crickets, scrambled eggs, and sometimes cat food.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sorry I don’t have any advice for your redfoot’s diet. Just wondering, are you using the moss as your substrate? If so your beautiful baby may eat it and he/she can become impacted.
I agree
Moss does get eaten

RedFootTortAz

Arizona
Sorry I don’t have any advice for your redfoot’s diet. Just wondering, are you using the moss as your substrate? If so your beautiful baby may eat it and he/she can become impacted.

Hello! I’m not using as substrate, I only have a patch that I keep next to his hideout to help with humidity. Morty tends to sleep under it then crawl over it when it’s time to feed on the opposite side of his home. I hope that’s ok! Thank you!

RedFootTortAz

Arizona
I agree
Moss does get eaten

Hello! I have it loosely covering a corner where I keep his hideout, I haven’t noticed him eating it at all and he poops most the time during his bath. I can definitely remove it if needed. Morty tends to sleep under it then walk across it to the spot where I feed him that’s a foot or two away. Thank you for the help!

RedFootTortAz

Arizona
Superworms mixed in Mazuri.
Catfood.
Beef or chicken meat or liver.
It's almost endless.
I actually chopped up a Kosher beef hot dog left over from a BBQ last week and tossed it into my females pen.
My girls loved it (Redfoot)
Redfoot are natures vacuum cleaner. They can eat things that would kill some other tortoises.
The fact that they have such a huge variety of foods that they can eat makes us keepers very fortunate.
Mix it up. Get creative in your feedings. Variety is key. It'll add enrichment to your tortoise and your relationship with it.
Most proteins that your family eats can to some extent be offered to your Redfoot in moderation.
thank you for the advice! You’re always so informative and helpful and I appreciate it! I will definitely mix it up! How often do you recommend proteins?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
thank you for the advice! You’re always so informative and helpful and I appreciate it! I will definitely mix it up! How often do you recommend proteins?
Once every 2 or 3 weeks as part of the diet.
As your tortoise grows, it can eat even more protein.