Baby Mediterranean Spur thigh Food Suggestions

Nathan V

Location (City and/or State)
Kent
I have a baby Mediterranean Spur thigh tortoise who is just over 3 months old. I’ve been feeding him florette crunchy lettuce which he has been eating. Is there any other foods that people would recommend for him as he been losing weight recently and not putting weight on.

Attachments

• 2AD1A253-097A-4A2B-A803-1337C7BEBA81.jpeg
    2AD1A253-097A-4A2B-A803-1337C7BEBA81.jpeg
    736.7 KB · Views: 10

mark pierce

Limassol Cyprus
I have a baby Mediterranean Spur thigh tortoise who is just over 3 months old. I’ve been feeding him florette crunchy lettuce which he has been eating. Is there any other foods that people would recommend for him as he been losing weight recently and not putting weight on.
I feed mine both leaves and flowers from dandelions lots about this time of year .. lettuce once a week , you can try both leaves and flowers from the hibiscus too ..read up there are lots of hints and help out there .. good luck

Lady Olga

Shropshire UK
I have had 2 Mediterranean Spur Thighed for over 40 years now and they absolutely love dandelion leaves and flowers! Their other favourite leaves are sedum, campanula and plantain leaves which I grow in the garden for them (so no pesticides). I moved house last year and so inherited new weeds in the garden - they now love sow thistle and bindweed leaves too! Your baby may be losing weight as lettuce doesn't have much nutritional content at all, it's mainly water. I feed mine lettuce sparingly (for its water content) as shop bought may have pesticides and fertilisers. Green leaves such as dandelion have the best nutritional content but it's good to vary them so they get different nutrients from each. I also add in treats of small amounts of fruit and veg such as apple, tomatoes, cucumber, strawberry tops and broccoli every few days and they adore them, but its important to keep to 80% green leaves or it will upset their delicate digestion. I have attached a good list to follow, although just because something is on the list, doesn't necessarily mean they'll like it! Good luck and enjoy looking after your baby :)

Attachments

• Mediterranean Tortoise Food.jpeg
    Mediterranean Tortoise Food.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 43