Baby Marginated not eating

Koopa712

Location (City and/or State)
commack, NY
Hey guys, new to the forum.
I have a sulcata and never had any issue over the last 15 years.
I have recently gotten a baby Marginated.
He sleeps alot ( baby) which is a given but he says away everything I offer. He has a pellet bedding, a hide, food dish and water dish. Uv and basking, and night heater.
Day temp basking avg 95.cooler side 80. Night temp Avg 70 to 75.

I have offered the following.
Romaine
Dandelion
Radicco
Chickory
Pepper
Parsnip.

He gets a soak each morning for 15 to 20 min.
He is drinking water at least.

Any ideas on what I can try ?

Thank you in advance.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

Koopa712

commack, NY
please read https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/marginated-tortoise-testudo-marginata-care-sheet.98564/
The substrate needs to be changed, an elctric thermometer should be connected to the heat, you need a laser heat gun to double check temps, add some plants. It is a lot of stuff but it is in the torts best interest and for the long long time you will be together. What is the soaking schedule? We are always here to help!

Soaking done in morning for 30 while I am doing his food.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Excellent then cover is necessary as being out in the open is sorta hard wired in torts as AVOID. Change the substrate and laser temp check to make sure the temps are good. A better substrate will allow the humidity to increase easily

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok so Cypress mulch is in and now we wait and see lol.

Thanks everybody !!

You can moisten your Cypress Mulch to improve the humidity. Placing a border 4 - 6" on the outside of your tank, around the bottom will make your Tort feel more secure. Be very careful buying plants from stores where Pesticides/Herbicides may have been used and feeding it to your Tort. Some on this forum have suggested waiting months to up to a year to be sure to not poison your Tortoise if he eats it. I believe new growth on the plant should be fine.

Koopa712

commack, NY
Ok so I am about to keep humidity at 60 to 70 percent but does drop. Spagnum miss ?
Basking 95 to 100. Cool Abt 80. Night about 75. Still not really eating. Any offerings. Any tips or tricks ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The hide should be 80 degrees 60 is too cold for a baby this is from @HermanniChris
A 100 watt basking light should also be placed at one end only to offer the tortoises a basking site of around 95F. The tortoises should be subjected to 12-14 hours of light each day. They may however not use the basking area too frequently if they are newborns. Remember, they know they are vulnerable and instinct tells them to hide as much as possible. Ambient room temperature should hover around 80-85F during the day and can be allowed to drop into the low 70s at night. T. marginata are capable of withstanding much cooler nighttime temperatures but while they are so young, it’s wise to not let it drop that low just yet. Additional heat sources like heat pads or rocks are terrible for tortoises and should never be used.