Baby leopard sleeping arrangements

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
Basking bulb that has uva and uvb as well is a mercury vapor bulb. She stated on her original post she has that type of bulb paired with a uvb strip light. Tortoise is probably stressed out from the lighting

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
Is it too much lighting? I've added way more plants so he can have more shade and covered places would that help? He goes in his humid hide, just not at night to sleep... He eats and drinks well, bathes everyday, has clear eyes, no runny nose...

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
I would change the mvb bulb for a regular basking bulb and see if the behavior changes. Just watch the temps when you change bulb types.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Ok I looked at the basking light for sure and this is what it says. If I have to change it that's totally fine, just trying to learn all the new stuff's you guys are teaching me ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200313-114556_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200313-114556_Chrome.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 10

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Also, I am so sorry! My name is sydney and I'm from Oklahoma and that is my 4 month old leopard ghido. I haven't had ANY social media for about 8 yrs now except this just now so I've totally forgot to introduce myself ?? I'm such a slacker... please forgive me lol

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I have ordered more plants for cover day before yesterday and should be here sometime today or tomorrow so he would have more cover. The only reason I grabbed that enclosure was because of how easy to clean, size and lots of people say closed chambers weren't good for leopards, but it seems to be the opposite as long as you control everything well. I saw where ppl covered there tops with metal tape and tinfoil to basically make a chamber, so I was thinking of doing that until I could afford a custom one. I dont mind not seeing him all the time, I'd much rather him be happy ?
I use a plastic planter. I found black ones the kind that new plants come in. Wash well and cut opening with scissors.

LAwoman

Clio Michigan
Temp is about 78-82 where the hide is and has the damp moss in it the middle of the enclosure is kept at 84 at night with a thermostat and 88 during the day (not much difference I know but I'm having a hard time figuring out what that should be. So many different answers...) basking area is 96-97. He has a basking bulb that said it had uvb as well, 18 inch strip uvb light and a no light heat emitter that is attached to the thermostat. He's also only about 3 inches long. He's a little guy.
I’m not at all experienced to make any suggestions. I have a 17 month old Leopard tortoise and I learn something new everyday! Looking at your pictures makes me wonder if it is open or glass covered on the top? It looks like it is covered to me. I have a glass enclosed 75 gallon tank for mine. I was told that the uvb rays will not penetrate the glass, so I have everything inside under the lid. Are the lights and heater on top of a glass cover?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
It's a mesh top, but I was told about how much that filters too ?

None of this great info were on all the 'super informative ' websites' when I was looking at what th o purchase for him. Just a really broad shopping list...
And thanks for the welcome!