Baby leopard sleeping arrangements

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
I have a new baby leopard and he is VERY active, but he hasn't set out to look for his hide. At night the last 2 nights (he's super new to me. I only just got him 2 nights ago lol) he 'runs' around like crazy then tucker's out and sleeps right in the middle of his enclosure lol. I've heard that's really odd so I wanted to make sure we are still ok

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's not normal. What's your temperature where the hide is?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Temp is about 78-82 where the hide is and has the damp moss in it the middle of the enclosure is kept at 84 at night with a thermostat and 88 during the day (not much difference I know but I'm having a hard time figuring out what that should be. So many different answers...) basking area is 96-97. He has a basking bulb that said it had uvb as well, 18 inch strip uvb light and a no light heat emitter that is attached to the thermostat. He's also only about 3 inches long. He's a little guy.

Attachments

• 20200312_072430.jpg
    20200312_072430.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 20200312_072453.jpg
    20200312_072453.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 56

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I had just misted his enclosure down so the reading on the dials where a little off in those pics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Temp is about 78-82 where the hide is and has the damp moss in it the middle of the enclosure is kept at 84 at night with a thermostat and 88 during the day (not much difference I know but I'm having a hard time figuring out what that should be. So many different answers...) basking area is 96-97. He has a basking bulb that said it had uvb as well, 18 inch strip uvb light and a no light heat emitter that is attached to the thermostat. He's also only about 3 inches long. He's a little guy.
That all looks pretty good. Way better than most for a first set up. None of the really bad mistakes that are usually made, so good job!

That behavior is not normal, but I don't see an obvious reason for it. Here are a few tips that may or may not be related to the weird behavior.
  • I don't see the moss in your pics, but if there is some, you should remove it. It doesn't do anything, and they typically eat it, and it can cause an impaction.
  • You need a humid hide. Half logs let all the humidity out.
  • Buy or build a closed chamber. You are losing all your heat and humidity out of that open top.
  • Are you soaking daily?
  • The screen top will filter out 40-60% of the UV generated by your UV tube. What type of bulb is in there? The regular UV bulbs (Meaning the non "HO" type.) need to be much closer than that to be effective. No more than about 10 inches from the tortoise with no obstructions.
  • Fill that water bowl all the way to the top. They need to be able to submerge their nostrils and most of their mouth to drink.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Should I get rid of the log completely then? I've seen ppl cut an opening in dark Tupperware containers, would something like that work? If so what should I put in there to keep good humidity? And I will take that sphagnum moss out! I just was told to put it in there for humidity reasons, but that's an easy fix! ?
And yes, I soak him for 15 mins every morning before I feed him. And I was worried about the water, because he's not very coordinated and he gets up and goes so fast that he's toppled over twice lol. I just put in that smaller dish though so hopefully that helps. Right now the water comes up to his first scutes.
Here is the long bulb as well.
And I'm so glad my first attempt was a good one! I just want him to be happy and healthy!
Thank you so much for all this great input!!

Attachments

• 20200305_124324.jpg
    20200305_124324.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually when a young tortoise "runs around like crazy" he's hurrying trying to find a safe place to be to be out of sight of predators. Give him more hiding places - plants, large rock, another cave, etc. While a wide open enclosure is good for you, the 'viewer', it is not comfortable for baby tortoises. They need a whole lot of cover to feel safe.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sounds to me like he's stressed out...I think he should have a better hide then the log...Good job tho

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have ordered more plants for cover day before yesterday and should be here sometime today or tomorrow so he would have more cover. The only reason I grabbed that enclosure was because of how easy to clean, size and lots of people say closed chambers weren't good for leopards, but it seems to be the opposite as long as you control everything well. I saw where ppl covered there tops with metal tape and tinfoil to basically make a chamber, so I was thinking of doing that until I could afford a custom one. I dont mind not seeing him all the time, I'd much rather him be happy ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Also,seeing my setup, where do u guys think the best placement for that better humid hide would be? Want to get it right for my baby ?

Again, thank you guys so much for all the feedback! It really helps me understand him so much better than reading random websites

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should I get rid of the log completely then? I've seen ppl cut an opening in dark Tupperware containers, would something like that work? If so what should I put in there to keep good humidity? And I will take that sphagnum moss out! I just was told to put it in there for humidity reasons, but that's an easy fix! ?
And yes, I soak him for 15 mins every morning before I feed him. And I was worried about the water, because he's not very coordinated and he gets up and goes so fast that he's toppled over twice lol. I just put in that smaller dish though so hopefully that helps. Right now the water comes up to his first scutes.
Here is the long bulb as well.
And I'm so glad my first attempt was a good one! I just want him to be happy and healthy!
Thank you so much for all this great input!!
An opaque plastic tub with a door hole cut out is an ideal humid hide. To keep humidity up in there, just dampen the substrate under it.

I don't know what type of UV that particular bulb puts out, but that type usually puts out very little. Only a UV meter can tell you for sure. With spring and summer coming back, you can use real sunshine to meet your tortoise's UV needs soon, so this will be less of an issue until fall.

Most of the care info found for tortoises is wrong. Old, out-dated incorrect thinking that has been repeated for multiple generations. Its hard to fight it.

Please feel free to ask all your questions. We are here to talk tortoises! :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You would probably be better off getting a Tote and cutting a hole in the side to use as a hide. Like thisIMG_20200312_110020813.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Ok awesome! Use the same substrate that's already in your enclosure?
Fir bark is the best for holding moisture, staying clean, providing a good walking surface, and allows for easy digging in - my leopard likes to get about 1/2-1 inch in when sleeping. The second tub I cut out a portion of the top to fit in a small 28 watt RHP. The first tub is in the new enclosure and that side has a 120 watt RHP

Attachments

• A3D9A42A-5AE9-43D3-A82F-9BF3465B0F28.jpeg
    A3D9A42A-5AE9-43D3-A82F-9BF3465B0F28.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 3AF5318E-1D5F-466E-BE18-14D4907A2C94.jpeg
    3AF5318E-1D5F-466E-BE18-14D4907A2C94.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 20
  • ECA87FED-3A3D-47FC-A677-090E3631718B.jpeg
    ECA87FED-3A3D-47FC-A677-090E3631718B.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 20

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I'm really sad I didn't find this place until after I purchased all the equipment I was 'supposed to have' lol now I'm trying to figure out how get the strip passed the mesh top ? fun times

I will buy a new hide tonight though!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Well, one more night of him being a goofball and not sleeping in his hide. I just made him a new plastic hide tonight though so maybe tomorrow... also added a few more plants and will probably add a few more tomorrow when he wakes up lol

He's such a cute little weirdo

Attachments

• 20200312_221713.jpg
    20200312_221713.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 26

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just keep putting him into and he will learn. Just be patient! My leopard now does the butt wiggles when I spray him with my mister?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I've seen a video of the butt wiggles!!!! So freaking cute!!!!!! Tortoises make my heart happy lol.

And I will do that! Just like a potty training dog lol. Sleep here. ?

Connie Jo

Texas
Usually when a young tortoise "runs around like crazy" he's hurrying trying to find a safe place to be to be out of sight of predators. Give him more hiding places - plants, large rock, another cave, etc. While a wide open enclosure is good for you, the 'viewer', it is not comfortable for baby tortoises. They need a whole lot of cover to feel safe.
Wouldn’t he be better in a smaller enclosure until he is older? He wouldn’t have to move so much to find a safe place to hide.