Baby Leopard Heath issues!!!

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Drum
Hello, Clyde is not doing as good as my other leopard tortoise. It seems as though he is a depressed sad dying tortoise. I have been really busy with work these past 2 weeks, so my wife has been taking care of them for me while i work late.

1) his eyes have started watering constantly.
2) he doesn't move around much at all. He will slide into the water dish and soak for hours my wife says. In the morning when she feeds them SPRING MIX with some powder calcium she will pick up Clyde and put him next to the food bowl and he will eat but not much.
*I DO HAVE 2 SEPERATE FOOD AND SOAKING DISHES*
3) it seems as though he has no strength to hold himself up.
4) his shell all around his body is REALLY soft.

*My other tortoise Franklin is doing really well, i had mentioned it in another thread that Franklin was nudging Clyde. So thats why i started feeding them separate and soaking them separately as well.

5) when i went to soak Clyde this evening the water came up to the top of his eyes and he would not lift his head up to breath. i watched him for 20 seconds and it didn't seem like he had any strength or intension to lift his head up to get some air. "usually when his head is under water i can see him drinking" but i didn't see anything like that this time.
6) i haven't seen him take any calcium from the cuttlebone i have in the enclosure.
7) he does not retract his head, or limbs. i can touch his head and does nothing.
IMG_3193.JPGIMG_3194.JPGIMG_3196.JPGIMG_3197.JPG
Photos above are of Clyde at 19 Dec 1930 2014,

Photos below are of the set up that i just changed tonight as well to separate them incase he is being bullied without me or my wife's knowledge.
IMG_3199.JPG IMG_3200.JPG IMG_3201.JPG

Please any help would be great. I don't know if my local vet knows anything about reptiles. i will have to do some research tonight.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
One thing you didn't mention and is critical are his enclosure temps. Basking spot? Cool side? Warm side? And night temps?

Fort Drum
Basking temps 103 Degrees,
Cool side 84-88 Degrees,
Warm side 90-95,
Night 84-90 Warm side,
Night 80-84 Cool side.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those are pretty good temps if the humidity is at least 80%. If the humidity is lower, then those are too warm of temps. The gauge you are using though is very unreliable. Be sure to get the humidity to at least 80% and a digital gauge is much more reliable,

Fort Drum
Wellington, I appreciate the advise, i am headed out to walmart now to pick those up. My local vet is open tomorrow so i will be giving them a call for some general advise and maybe make herm an appointment. This is not the ideal way to stat my christmas leave. :( but i will be able to monitor his progress.
I will be picking up a AcuRite while I'm at walmart as well, probably 2 of them to check both sides of the enclosure.
But the humidity is really high. i know when i open it to feed them its like a sauna so it has to be around that range. the only vents i have are the gaps where my light cords hang down and the sides where the glass doesn't sit flush against the sides.

Fort Drum
Unfortunately Clyde did not make it.
He passed while i was soaking him. Me and my wife were eating dinner right next to him. i was watching him for 20 minutes. I soaked him in warm water with some unflavored pedialyte, and a small amount of baby carrot food. I watched him as he drank the water multiple times. he would keep his head underwater for about 20 seconds an i would watch him drink and then lift his head up with his eyes open. And when i was about to put him back in the tank i picked him up and he was limp, no

Team Gomberg i got him off of a guy on Facebook that is part of a tortoise classified page. I know now that he wasn't housing his leopards properly. I guess I'm glad that i was able to save at least one of them. My other tortoise is doing really good, his shell is hard aside from his belly, he eats the grass in the tank, he's very active, poops daily, he uses his cuttlebone.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Sorry to hear about Clyde. I lost one this way too. It is very sad and disappointing.

Fort Drum
Jodie yes it is sad and disappointing. And I wish I would have acted sooner. Me and my wife have noticed a decline in his behavior we should have came to the forum sooner. I thought it might have been stress because of Franklin so we would feed them, and soak them separately. But they loved to sleep next to each other in the same corner.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Jodie yes it is sad and disappointing. And I wish I would have acted sooner. Me and my wife have noticed a decline in his behavior we should have came to the forum sooner. I thought it might have been stress because of Franklin so we would feed them, and soak them separately. But they loved to sleep next to each other in the same corner.
I separated mine early and did everything possible to no avail. My remaining little one has not grown hardly at all. He is almost a year old and 50 grams. I have a trio that I got here, they were started right. They are about 8 months and the smallest is 85grams, the largest 125 grams. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. The damage is done. Don't be to hard on yourself. Best wishes with Franklin.

Fort Drum
I spoke with the breeder and he says it's because I have no air in the tank. lol that my closed chamber needs to be more like an open one. But I know he's wrong because this is what he sent me. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419049659.206320.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419049669.374667.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419049686.097193.jpg

Everything I have read on here tells me he doesn't really know much. I wish I found this site before I purchased them. Live and learn.