cortneysigman

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello everyone! I am a new account to this forum. I have been a tortoise mom for a little under a year now and I have three Sulcatas who are one and an Ivory Sulcata who is seven months. My three one year olds are great, healthy, lively, and thriving. However, my Ivory that I just got in January has been struggling, hence why I am here. I noticed that shortly after we brought her home that she wouldn't open her eyes. She would walk around with her eyes closed and rarely opened them. I stated doing every day soaks in warmish water (opposed to the every other I was already doing) and that seemed to help. I also bought the reptile eyewash and that seemed to make the problem better but not resolved. My main concerns are how the Ivory eats. When the Ivory eats she BITES AT THE AIR and never really seems to see the food. I have been guiding her for the past month where when she opens her mouth I put the food in her mouth for her to bite. She sometimes bites food on her own too but has trouble tearing a piece off. She also is not very active. She sometimes walks around, but usually not for very long. When she does become active though she seems healthy. She turns and is curious, walks back and forth. I am also concerned with her sleep. She sleeps in the same spot for hours on end then moves to a different spot to sleep. I know she is still young, but with her eyesight troubles it worries me how much she sleeps and how little she opens her eyes. She has no other symptoms like NO bubbles coming out of her nose or mouth that leads me to believe it is a respiratory infection. I would love some advice on anyone who would like to help or has seen something like this in their tort. I use alfalfa substrate, the tank is kept around 95-100 during the day (basking) and about 75-80 at night. I have a uvb light, and the humidity is within normal range. I am NOT concerned about my setup as the three tortoises who I have had for much longer are thriving and doing well in the same environment. I will attach a few pictures of the tank and her eyes. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• 55BD1B2C-A00A-4618-8EB6-75855ED7086D_1_105_c.jpeg
    55BD1B2C-A00A-4618-8EB6-75855ED7086D_1_105_c.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 79
  • A3B24B39-73F4-4E2A-9D96-0EE0BEFB56A6_1_105_c.jpeg
    A3B24B39-73F4-4E2A-9D96-0EE0BEFB56A6_1_105_c.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 8358C168-475B-4960-9686-B10990990D47_1_105_c.jpeg
    8358C168-475B-4960-9686-B10990990D47_1_105_c.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 87796F2E-B9E9-4D4F-8AA7-F13B1EC3C39E_1_105_c.jpeg
    87796F2E-B9E9-4D4F-8AA7-F13B1EC3C39E_1_105_c.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 4AC0E5D1-8F0B-4321-9645-0A2932419DAD_1_105_c.jpeg
    4AC0E5D1-8F0B-4321-9645-0A2932419DAD_1_105_c.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 4886D427-9C23-4CF4-BB0F-CCFE14AC0352_1_105_c.jpeg
    4886D427-9C23-4CF4-BB0F-CCFE14AC0352_1_105_c.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 74
  • A4F2E80F-B528-4D39-9FE6-26F80B54213A_1_105_c.jpeg
    A4F2E80F-B528-4D39-9FE6-26F80B54213A_1_105_c.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 70

cortneysigman

Southern California
Hello everyone! I am a new account to this forum. I have been a tortoise mom for a little under a year now and I have three Sulcatas who are one and an Ivory Sulcata who is seven months. My three one year olds are great, healthy, lively, and thriving. However, my Ivory that I just got in January has been struggling, hence why I am here. I noticed that shortly after we brought her home that she wouldn't open her eyes. She would walk around with her eyes closed and rarely opened them. I stated doing every day soaks in warmish water (opposed to the every other I was already doing) and that seemed to help. I also bought the reptile eyewash and that seemed to make the problem better but not resolved. My main concerns are how the Ivory eats. When the Ivory eats she BITES AT THE AIR and never really seems to see the food. I have been guiding her for the past month where when she opens her mouth I put the food in her mouth for her to bite. She sometimes bites food on her own too but has trouble tearing a piece off. She also is not very active. She sometimes walks around, but usually not for very long. When she does become active though she seems healthy. She turns and is curious, walks back and forth. I am also concerned with her sleep. She sleeps in the same spot for hours on end then moves to a different spot to sleep. I know she is still young, but with her eyesight troubles it worries me how much she sleeps and how little she opens her eyes. She has no other symptoms like NO bubbles coming out of her nose or mouth that leads me to believe it is a respiratory infection. I would love some advice on anyone who would like to help or has seen something like this in their tort. I use alfalfa substrate, the tank is kept around 95-100 during the day (basking) and about 75-80 at night. I have a uvb light, and the humidity is within normal range. I am NOT concerned about my setup as the three tortoises who I have had for much longer are thriving and doing well in the same environment. I will attach a few pictures of the tank and her eyes. Thank you in advance for any advice!

55BD1B2C-A00A-4618-8EB6-75855ED7086D_1_105_c.jpeg8358C168-475B-4960-9686-B10990990D47_1_105_c.jpegA3B24B39-73F4-4E2A-9D96-0EE0BEFB56A6_1_105_c.jpeg4AC0E5D1-8F0B-4321-9645-0A2932419DAD_1_105_c.jpeg4886D427-9C23-4CF4-BB0F-CCFE14AC0352_1_105_c.jpegA4F2E80F-B528-4D39-9FE6-26F80B54213A_1_105_c.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The substrate is a big part of your problem. This baby needs to be in a warm, humid environment, and how you achieve that is by covering the enclosure and adding moistened substrate. You can't moisten the alfalfa because it molds, so you'll need something like fir (orchid) bark, cypress mulch or coco coir. The cover holds in the warm air and keeps out the cooler air from your house. This allows you to maintain 80-85F degrees in the enclosure ALL the time, day and night.

Until you can make that change buy some Gerber strained carrots and soak the baby in a 50/50 mixture of the carrots/warm water for a good half hour daily and longer is even better. I put the bowl back into the enclosure NEXT TO the light to keep it warm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
On another note,

1. that aquarium isn't big enough for that many tortoises
2. One should ALWAYS quarantine for a month or so before adding a new tortoise to your existing
3. Little tortoises should not be put in with bigger ones

Now that I've had a chance to look at your pictures, this baby's trouble could stem from 2 and 3 above. . . could be the light too.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I hope your tortoise feels better. I hope the information you get from the forum experts helps your tort.

cortneysigman

Southern California
On another note,

1. that aquarium isn't big enough for that many tortoises
2. One should ALWAYS quarantine for a month or so before adding a new tortoise to your existing
3. Little tortoises should not be put in with bigger ones

Now that I've had a chance to look at your pictures, this baby's trouble could stem from 2 and 3 above. . . could be the light too.

Hi, thank you for the input, I just bought a different substrate! I do have a separate aquarium that I kept the new Ivory in, but only for two weeks, now I keep the big one in the separate one and the three tinier ones in the bigger aquarium. I am hoping to upsize soon! What do you think the problem with the light could be? Also, my tortoise sometimes falls asleep for a few minutes during her soak, is that normal?

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Can you post a picture of your light? That Ivory baby needs to be by himself. Please read those links, then ask your questions and you'll get more help than you need...
personal question...You have enough room for all those Sulcata when they grow? If you got that baby from a breeder you might give them a call and ask if you get a healthy baby...but the eye problem 'could' be your lights

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Review this Sulcata thread with similar questions:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I would be concerned about all of your sullies. If the others are indeed a year old, they are not growing properly either. 75 is too cold for them. Please read the sully care sheets here and try to make some changes.. They need more space , humidity, heat... this is not criticism at all. You must care for them to spend the kind of money an ivory costs.. wishing you and your sullies the best!

MichiganMan

Michigan
I wish I had a couple acres for 4 sulcatas. That's going to be a huge enclosure and a lot of food in the future.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is the light I use, it was recommended by a breeder
What is the distance from that tube to the tortoises?

Did the breeder use a different type of UV bulb?

What bulbs are in the double hood?

One of the problems caused by an overly dry enclosure is eye issues. Your enclosure is WAYYYY too dry. Most of the info you find from breeders, vets, books, websites and "experts" for sulcata care is wrong. Its based on 30+ year old incorrect assumptions of how they live in the wild and its been repeated for generations now. Here is the correct care info:

Questions and conversation are welcome.

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
If your three 1 year old's are all the same age, the size difference alone indicates bullying. Males are usually bigger than females, but even so..... Each of the 4 needs to have it's own home. They are really too young to sex, but we might be able to help with that if you turn each upside down and take a picture from that angle. At least an educated guess. They need more edible plants that they can hid in and amongst. Plants also help hold the humidity up.

Your ivory is so tiny that you need to cut up its food into bite size pieces with a few leaves in for learning purposes. It's water bowl should be replaced with a shallow plant saucer that is much easier to get in and out of. Sink it down into the substrate she she can actually walk right into it. Where is the water bowl in relation to the food dish? It is much easier for them to eat on a piece of tile. If the tile is smooth serviced, turn it upside down.

She sure is a cute little thing. Best of luck with her!

cortneysigman

Southern California
Thank you to everyone for all the advice and help. As a first time tortoise owner I really was given very outdated information, but thanks to you guys and the helpful links I am certainly headed in the right direction. I want my tortoises to thrive not just survive! I have gotten another enclosure, have made both of them closed enclosures, changed my substrate and have been having the humidity much higher than it was. My torts are loving it and my Ivory is already doing a lot better! I have been doing a lot of research on here and find it very beneficial! Thanks again!

MichiganMan

Michigan
Thank you to everyone for all the advice and help. As a first time tortoise owner I really was given very outdated information, but thanks to you guys and the helpful links I am certainly headed in the right direction. I want my tortoises to thrive not just survive! I have gotten another enclosure, have made both of them closed enclosures, changed my substrate and have been having the humidity much higher than it was. My torts are loving it and my Ivory is already doing a lot better! I have been doing a lot of research on here and find it very beneficial! Thanks again!

That's great news! Let's see some pics of the new enclosures.