Baby is not very active

Beligratis

Hi, I have a 7-month old cherryhead, and I've noticed that she likes to sleep/sit in a dark corner a LOT. I'm not sure if she even moves at all during the day, and she won't come out of her cave unless I pick her up and put her under the lamp, and even then she just waits a bit and then walks back to her spot and shuts her eyes. Is this normal, or should she be more active? Any help is appreciated- Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Babies do sleep a lot, but should be more active then what you are describing. Please give us more info. Temps, humidity, type of light/bulbs using and type of heat source. Substrate, diet, how often you soak, etc.
please be sure to read the caresheet and also check out the tortoiselibrary.com for more RF info.

Beligratis

Uh, I'm not sure exactly what temperature, but I have a desert heat lamp and a UV lamp, and she eats mostly spring mix with a calcium supplement, but sometimes other veggies. She always has access to water although I'm not sure she drinks it, and I soak her every other day for about 15 mins. She's been this way since I got her- I mean, there hasn't been any change in her behavior. If it helps, I do take her out to interact with her sometimes and she tromps around and climbs on stuff while I'm there.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Uh, I'm not sure exactly what temperature, but I have a desert heat lamp and a UV lamp, and she eats mostly spring mix with a calcium supplement, but sometimes other veggies. She always has access to water although I'm not sure she drinks it, and I soak her every other day for about 15 mins. She's been this way since I got her- I mean, there hasn't been any change in her behavior. If it helps, I do take her out to interact with her sometimes and she tromps around and climbs on stuff while I'm there.
You need to be certain of the temperatures. Your tortoise is cold blooded and relies on the external heat to enable it to be active and digest food.

Get yourself a good digital thermometer and find out - they're not expensive from Amazon or a hardware store.

Beligratis

I actually have a thermometer, although it is for meat haha. Anyway, I'm sure it will work for this situation- I've noticed that it can still measure ambient air temperatures and the like. I'll have to wait until I get home to check though, I'm not at my house right now

Beligratis

To be fair, I'm not really sure what she does while I'm not at home or at night, so I might just be acting like a hypochondriac

Beligratis

I'm not actually sure, I'll check when I get home- more homework for me to do! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll need to educate yourself in the correct care of this tortoise quickly before she gets sick from not having the correct care. Please read about RF tortoises at the Tortoise Library Then if you still have questions, we're happy to help you. It is very important to have your new baby set up under the correct conditions or else she won't eat.

Beligratis

I've had her for a few months now and she is a voracious eater, and she acts fine when I interact with her, she just sleeps a lot. I have also read that particular webpage, but thank you for your help :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry...I thought the tortoise was new to you...guess I should pay closer attention. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, it's a dome
That means you are using a CFL. Those sometimes burn their eyes and they hide all day to avoid the pain. That would also explain why she is out and active when you have her out from under that bulb. I would turn it off ASAP when you get home, or have someone else unplug it for you. Replace it with a tube type florescent bulb that runs most of the length of your enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you everyone for your help! I'll get a new lamp and see if that helps

Also check your temperatures. These symptoms could also occur if the enclosure is too cool, and if you allow it to get too cool at night when the lights are off.