Baby horsfield not eating and sleeping all the time

Hannah84

Hello,
I am very worried about my new baby tortoise. He is a horsfield and about 5 months old. He is tiny and so gorgeous. I got him on Sunday, and on that day he seemed to settle in really well. He was active, walking around his tortoise table and eating. But since then he has completely changed, for the last 2 days he spends the whole time buried in a corner sleeping and isn't eating. When I got back from work this evening he was in the exact same spot where he was this morning, buried in the corner, and hadn't touched his food. I was worried he was dehydrated so I've given him a little soak which perked him up a little, but he's just run back into his little corner again now.

Is he stressed and just settling in? If so then why was he ok on the day we bought him and suddenly not? Or am I doing something wrong? When I bought him he was living in exactly the same tortoise table - the one from pets at home http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/-7104335p--1. He was living on hemp when I bought him but I have changed this to Eco soil. His lamp is the exo terra 125w with UVB, which is on for 10 hours a day. It is 30 cms above the surface of his table. I have offered him parsley, weeds from the garden etc but no interest. I know it's only been 2 days but I am so worried about him, he is so small and vulnerable.

Really appreciate any help. I've attached a photo of him (he was in a shoebox on the way home, I am not keeping him in bits of newspaper!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 36

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hello,
I am very worried about my new baby tortoise. He is a horsfield and about 5 months old. He is tiny and so gorgeous. I got him on Sunday, and on that day he seemed to settle in really well. He was active, walking around his tortoise table and eating. But since then he has completely changed, for the last 2 days he spends the whole time buried in a corner sleeping and isn't eating. When I got back from work this evening he was in the exact same spot where he was this morning, buried in the corner, and hadn't touched his food. I was worried he was dehydrated so I've given him a little soak which perked him up a little, but he's just run back into his little corner again now.

Is he stressed and just settling in? If so then why was he ok on the day we bought him and suddenly not? Or am I doing something wrong? When I bought him he was living in exactly the same tortoise table - the one from pets at home http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/-7104335p--1. He was living on hemp when I bought him but I have changed this to Eco soil. His lamp is the exo terra 125w with UVB, which is on for 10 hours a day. It is 30 cms above the surface of his table. I have offered him parsley, weeds from the garden etc but no interest. I know it's only been 2 days but I am so worried about him, he is so small and vulnerable.

Really appreciate any help. I've attached a photo of him (he was in a shoebox on the way home, I am not keeping him in bits of newspaper!)

A tortoise takes awhile to get settled...I would make sure your enclosure temps are all good and if all is set...I would allow him some time to settle..it can take a couple weeks or more...continue to offer him food and water and then let him have time to be secure where he is...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! I'd suggest taking your cute little tort to a vet. At the same time I'd like to ask you: has temperature dropped where you live? Am asking as I noticed something on my beloved tort: once the temperature begings to drop my tort starts to...lose appetite. Research has confirmed that this is normal. Good luck and take care.

sandy mclelland

I'm having the same problems exactly with my new Horsfield babies! really worried now - have tried everything suggested to encourage eating but to no avail It's been a week now any more suggestions plz guys?

Terry51563

I have a 3 toed that I got about 3 weeks or so ago and he is just now starting to eat on his own.