Baby hermann tortoise has hardly eaten anything today

Kd26

Location (City and/or State)
Albania
Hello i just got a baby hermann tortoise(2-3w eeks old) from my friend and since i got it it hasnt eaten a lot / if at all. What could be the problem . She keeps roaming all day in the enclosure i made. I gave it a warm bath and she drank some water but still no eating

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hello i just got a baby hermann tortoise(2-3w eeks old) from my friend and since i got it it hasnt eaten a lot / if at all. What could be the problem . She keeps roaming all day in the enclosure i made. I gave it a warm bath and she drank some water but still no eating
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new baby! I have a 2 year old Hermann’s tortoise who has brought so much joy to my life. Generally when tortoises aren’t eating, they’re too cold. What are the temperatures in your enclosure (cool side, warm side, basking spot and overnight temp)? It’s good you’re soaking your little one. This should be done daily for at least the first year. I still soak my tortoise daily to ensure he’s properly hydrated. My advice is to check your temperatures, make sure you’re offering a variety of foods throughout the day, and read this care sheet I have linked below. Compare this with how you have your enclosure is set up. There is a lot of misinformation and old info on the internet about caring for tortoises. I would stick to the forum and this caresheet as your reference for learning.

Kd26

Albania
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new baby! I have a 2 year old Hermann’s tortoise who has brought so much joy to my life. Generally when tortoises aren’t eating, they’re too cold. What are the temperatures in your enclosure (cool side, warm side, basking spot and overnight temp)? It’s good you’re soaking your little one. This should be done daily for at least the first year. I still soak my tortoise daily to ensure he’s properly hydrated. My advice is to check your temperatures, make sure you’re offering a variety of foods throughout the day, and read this care sheet I have linked below. Compare this with how you have your enclosure is set up. There is a lot of misinformation and old info on the internet about caring for tortoises. I would stick to the forum and this caresheet as your reference for learning.

I currently keep it on my backyard and i made an enclosure for her to go at night or i put her inside when i feel its too cold . Thats actually how my friend keeps his tortoises . He hasnt had any problems . This kind is native to where i live thats why i didnt want to make an inside enclosure with uv light and temperature regulations and other stuff. I dont actually know if its needed or not but starting from my friends advice i decided to keep it this way. I dont know if u have any tips or ideas for me because i dont know too much

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. Can we see some pics of your tortoise and her habitat outside?
Hope she is safe from dogs, cats, birds etc.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I currently keep it on my backyard and i made an enclosure for her to go at night or i put her inside when i feel its too cold . Thats actually how my friend keeps his tortoises . He hasnt had any problems . This kind is native to where i live thats why i didnt want to make an inside enclosure with uv light and temperature regulations and other stuff. I dont actually know if its needed or not but starting from my friends advice i decided to keep it this way. I dont know if u have any tips or ideas for me because i dont know too much
You still have to know if the conditions in the enclosure at your yard are identical to those at your friend's property. Temperature and humidity and landscaping are vitally important to reptile health and welfare. You must know the parameters exactly. If the temperatures are wrong, the animal cannot digest and have proper immunity. If the humidity is wrong, the kidneys and other metabolic organs may fail.

The only way to know if your pet is panicking and trying to get back Home or if they are missing something important is to know the temperature, humidity, and quality of shade plants.

There is a lot of difference between keeping a large number of animals outdoors (with the accepted risk of losing a small percentage of them) and keeping a single Pet animal well at home.

Read the care sheet above carefully and make sure you can match those conditions with your outdoor enclosure at all times. If not, then it will be best to start your wee one indoors for the first 2-3 years.

Kd26

Albania
You still have to know if the conditions in the enclosure at your yard are identical to those at your friend's property. Temperature and humidity and landscaping are vitally important to reptile health and welfare. You must know the parameters exactly. If the temperatures are wrong, the animal cannot digest and have proper immunity. If the humidity is wrong, the kidneys and other metabolic organs may fail.

The only way to know if your pet is panicking and trying to get back Home or if they are missing something important is to know the temperature, humidity, and quality of shade plants.

There is a lot of difference between keeping a large number of animals outdoors (with the accepted risk of losing a small percentage of them) and keeping a single Pet animal well at home.

Read the care sheet above carefully and make sure you can match those conditions with your outdoor enclosure at all times. If not, then it will be best to start your wee one indoors for the first 2-3 years.
So the day after i posted that the tortoise actually started eating properly i was just worried she seems very healthy now and fine she drinks water and eats every morning

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. Can we see some pics of your tortoise and her habitat outside?
Hope she is safe from dogs, cats, birds etc.
NO, Tammy. You are not going to get any pics!!! So quit sulking already.