Baby Hermann red mark

Jamie_Lee_Fox

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello. I’m new here but wondered if anyone could shed some light on this.
Our 5 month old hermann has a red mark on her plastron. There is nothing in her enclosure she could’ve hurt herself on and my concern is where it’s situated. It seems to be where the plates meet.
Is this a part of normal growth?
She eats non stop! All safe plants from the garden.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
C5029259-337E-4517-909B-AABAEB863A6E.jpeg

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
It might be a yolk scar left behind after the yolk sac has been absorbed. In a younger individual this is normal and not of concern. However, considering that your Hermann's is already 5 months old, and the size of the mark, it might be an incomplete fusion of the plastron after the absrobtion of the yolk, which is rare, but can happen sometimes.

I'll wait for more experienced people here to see what they think.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Sitona. Also could be a little stab from a piece of woody substrate.
Is it just red or is it blood? Looks a bit like bloody to me. If so can you wipe any of it off?
If he were mine. I would put him on paper towels for substrate and treat it with over the counter antibiotic cream after carefully cleaning it with water. Do this daily for about 2 weeks. If nothing changes or it gets better then go back to normal care, normal substrate and just keep an eye on it.
If it gets worse, don't think it will, then maybe try OTC antifungal cream.