Baby Hermann - 6mos old - First Vet appt?

Pittrock

I just got him this week from TortoiseSupply. We have an excellent reptile vet here who saw my adult Russian (I got him as an adult). But with this baby...when should I bring him to his first vet appt? He's eating, drinking and all seems well.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1391651231.036638.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Most people believe you should take a tortoise to the vet when it is necessary. If your hermann is active, shows no signs of illness or problems, and is eating well, then I wouldn't worry about taking your tort to a vet. Besides, you bought from someone reliable on here:) some vets recommend you do a well check prior to hibernation, but a lot of people don't see the need for this either if they are healthy and most people don't start having their torts hibernate until at least three years of age.

Blkjkoknhrt

Vets can help, but they can also hurt...your wallet, outdated knowledge and well-meaning interference comes to mind.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I concur. No need for the stress of a drive to the vet to get poked and prodded. Many vets end up recommending unnecessary treatments, like "vitamin injections" that can actually do more harm than good.

On the other hand its not a bad idea for your vet to know you and make a file on your tortoise, so that if there ever is a problem they already know who you are and have some baseline info on your tortoise.

I don't go to the vet unless there is a problem, but I have the personal cell numbers of a dozen vets who are friends, so I can get help anytime I need it.