Baby hatching help please ASAP

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo West
This baby has been like this since yesterday I can see him moving should I be worried about the time factor, someone please give some adviseImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408317794.464179.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TortForum

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
A couple of mine sat in the egg like that for a day or two and I was getting worried. I made sure it was hydrated by dribbling a little water into the shell as close to its mouth as I could and kept the humidity up. I think they were sitting and absorbing the last of their yolk.
When they did decide to come out they came out quite quickly.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
He is just fine .....good sign he is sitting upright in the egg. There is no magic formula for days to "pop" out entirely of the egg. Once pip- 48-72 hours sort of the normal time frame (2-4)days ,If you would like , a simple slight mist can help . Hang tight.... if 5 or more days pass you may then try to intervene some . The egg is a 2 part with the hard shell on the outside and breaks away , while the second is a leathery type covering.
During embryonic development, nutrition is received from the yolk sac and this is usually not visible until the tortoise hatches completely out of the egg. If the egg sac is not fully absorbed when the hatchling emerges from its shell, it can be seen externally attached to the tortoise's plastron.(looks like a jelly bean)This sac gradually becomes absorbed over the first few days of life.
Seeing a captive-bred hatchling with a large egg sac for the first time may be quite a frightening experience, but many of these hatchlings survive and go on to live long and very healthy lives.
Whilst the egg sac remains exposed, there is the potential for complications if it comes into contact with substrate, causing the outer membrane to stick to it. There is a risk of rupture to the membrane, which in turn predisposes the hatchling to a high risk of infection, septicaemia and possibly death. So pick a sterile type cloth paper towel and keep moist , you may also add a little indent to it to help keep the hatchling upright , until egg sac is fully absorbed. Simple deli cups work well , to keep things cozy and can be placed in a "neo-nate" set up as well as keeping an easy eye on development.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Thank you everyone I feel better now knowing I have some time to wait

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Another question egg is in deli container with hatch rite should I switch it to moist paper towel for hatching?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As long as the nose is clear and he can breathe, its all good. Keep moisture in the incubator so the egg doesn't dry out. It makes it harder for the baby to break the shell if it dries out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My MAIN concern would be maintaining humidity and moisture in the incubator during the actual act of hatching (right now). They can get stuck if things are too dry, so make sure its damp, but not too damp, in there. I remove them from the incubator and into a brooder box as soon as they leave their egg on their own power.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
When mine start to hatch I remove the egg from the HatchRite and place it in a plastic container on a scrunched up moist paper towel to cradle the egg. If the hatchling is taking a long time to hatch I will lightly mist the paper towel. I also bump up the humidity in the incubator by adding more water.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Congrats. How cut it is.

phebe121

Vary cute babies cant wait to see id mine r boy and girl i think so they look like they r

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
YAAYYYY!!!! (Jumps up and down clapping hands!) :)
CONGRATULATIONS!
GOSH, he's CUTE!!!