Baby gulf coast turtle

Bunny2746

Location (City and/or State)
Panhandlle of Florida
I just wanted to say thank you to all who have given the knowledge to me ,to feed and nurture my turtles.
I went into a pet store tonight looking for blood worms or something to feed a very young box turtle. The man said just to feed them veggies?? Instead I found Reptime floating sticks and Hikari brought it home and he ate it. And I learned it from this forum!! Most workers at pet stores are not educated enough to help so please keep sharing!!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
No box turtle should be given just veggies, but especially not a baby!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't. I wouldn't keep two different size ones togethers, and I would not want to keep a pair together either. A groups of similar sized ones might work, but not a pair.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I would be amazed if he ate veggies that young. Unless Gulf Coasts are much different form 3-toeds that way.

Bunny2746

Panhandlle of Florida
I would be amazed if he ate veggies that young. Unless Gulf Coasts are much different form 3-toeds that way.
Agreed, he is eating turtle pellets in water and I keep offering worms. I was concerned because anyone that is buying or has a turtle and asks for advice from a pet store worker ,some don't really know what turtles should be eating. So I am this forum is available!

Bunny2746

Panhandlle of Florida
Agreed, he is eating turtle pellets in water and I keep offering worms. I was concerned because anyone that is buying or has a turtle and asks for advice from a pet store worker ,some don't really know what turtles should be eating. So I am this forum is available!

Attachments

• 20171121_082558.jpg
    20171121_082558.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I have 4 month old hatchlings eating red romaine lettuce and mustard greens along with other fruits and vegetables. The key for me is to get them started on the aquatic turtle pellets and then add the moistened pellets to the variety diet dish. After a couple weeks to a month of feeding them this way, I quit adding the moistened pellets to the dish. I still feed the pellets during soaks but I am having no issues with them eating other foods beyond live protein 2-3 times a week from this transition method. Hikari pellets have been their favorite. I would only feed Hikari, Omega One, or Aquatic Mazuri...Reptomin sticks are garbage. As for housing a 1 year old and a new hatchling, I would not advise. Any movement from the hatchling can be seen as potential food for the 1 year old. A serious injury could occur or even death. I usually feed hatchlings separate because they are down right nasty to each other when it comes to food.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
No, they are no different. IME actually a bit more carnivorous.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
My GC definitely had carnivorous tendencies.

Gulf coasts are bit more carnivorous but they are also voracious eaters. I don’t have any that discriminate much when it comes to food especially when I have them on a familiar varied diet regimen.

Bunny2746

Panhandlle of Florida
Yes the older ones loves spring mix,squash and earthworms etc. One thing I can't seem to find here in florida are pill bugs any suggestions? It sounds like that is a favorite for young and old.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
I'm lucky if one of box turtles actually eats greens lol. They just like fruits, worms, and basically all types of meat etc

CatsinQ

Panama City Beach, FL
The key for me is to get them started on the aquatic turtle pellets and then add the moistened pellets to the variety diet dish. After a couple weeks to a month of feeding them this way, I quit adding the moistened pellets to the dish. I still feed the pellets during soaks but I am having no issues with them eating other foods beyond live protein 2-3 times a week from this transition method. Hikari pellets have been their favorite. I would only feed Hikari, Omega One, or Aquatic Mazuri...Reptomin sticks are garbage. .

Why do you use the aquatic turtle pellets? I have my very first reptile - a Gulf Coast Box Turtle - and even though they are called turtles, aren't they really tortoises? Even if that's true, is an aquatic formula better for them?

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Why do you use the aquatic turtle pellets? I have my very first reptile - a Gulf Coast Box Turtle - and even though they are called turtles, aren't they really tortoises? Even if that's true, is an aquatic formula better for them?

I used to think boxies were torts, but no, they are turtles and do enjoy floating in water for hours on end. They will eat on the water surface or on the ground.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa

There is a woman out there who has done tons of research on Boxies. ( Sandra Barnett) She recommends the Omega one pellets which are a floating pellet. but YES, Boxies are TURTLES. They have different needs than Torts.

CatsinQ

Panama City Beach, FL
There is a woman out there who has done tons of research on Boxies. ( Sandra Barnett) She recommends the Omega one pellets which are a floating pellet. but YES, Boxies are TURTLES. They have different needs than Torts.
OK, thanks so much you guys! Looking at the Omega One pellets available on Amazon, the product is specified as either juvenile or adult. If my boxie is 4.5" long and maybe a little over a year old, is he considered a juvenile still, or an adult? He still prefers protein foods and will scarcely touch veggies or fruit.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I think the adult formula is fine. Omega One is a very good product so i would suspect the adult formula has enough of everything a younger turtle needs. I actually have an OLD coffee bean grinder and i grind up the pellets, mix with water and mashed yams, and that makes it easier for them to eat. but either way is fine.