Baby Greek tortoise

Walnut

Location (City and/or State)
Samos
Should I bring a tiny baby tortoise inside? It is living in a large yard in natural habitat but it seems to not be able to find a place to hide and just stays on a concrete path even if ot os raining. It moves in the day time but it os getting cold and wet. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming that your weather is like the weather where these tortoises live in nature. But, even so, if it were me, I would set up an indoor enclosure with heat and lights. I would go by the care offered in our Greek tortoise care sheet. - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/

I don't keep Greeks, but I keep all my baby tortoises the same way, that is, 80-85F degrees over the whole enclosure, day and night.

Can we see pictures of your baby?

Last edited:

Walnut

Samos
I'm assuming that your weather is like the weather where these tortoises live in nature. But, even so, if it were me, I would set up an indoor enclosure with heat and lights. I would go by the care offered in our Greek tortoise care sheet. - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/

I don't keep Greeks, but I keep all my baby tortoises the same way, that is, 80-85F degrees over the whole enclosure, day and night.

(I'm just assuming your baby is a Greek tortoise)
Thank you. I live on Samos an island in Greece. Unfortunately I travel quite a bit and would find it hard to care for. I built a solid box and put some dried leaves etc in one part. It has an opening to get out. It was able to get out but it dod not go back into the box. They live in the hills here quite naturally so i assumed it should weather the winter here.

Walnut

Samos

(I'm just assuming your baby is a Greek tortoise)

Walnut

Samos
I will take a photo tomorrow to see if you can identify what kind of tortoise it is. I will search any animal rescue organisations there may be on the island. Thank you

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please read the "Beginners Thread" and the one on Greek Tortoises, if you haven't already.

And welcome to the forum.

Walnut

Samos
Hi, I rescued 3 baby Greek tortoises, they must have been born this summer. I live in Greece. One has lots of strange black shiny balls attached to it like ticks,around his eyes and mouth. I have them indoors as the courtyard they were in is full of cement dust and floods. Question is, I have no idea if a halogen 50w is good enough. It's quite mild here at the moment but it will get cold. There is nobody on the island who seems to know about baby Tortoises. The vet isn't experienced in handling them either. It's also hard to get top soil unless I just use some from the garden.
Sorry! So many questions. All the best. Fay

Walnut

Samos
Black spots?
Hi, I took them out from around it's eyes and mouth.there are a few on its legs but can't get to them as they are inside at the shoulder :( so hard to take a photo.
I have a heat lamp and substrate down, bathing them in warm water every other day.
I've been in touch with an animal shelter but they only take dogs and cats.
Thank you for your reply.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Try your best to take pictures of these “black shiny balls” so we can help identify with our experts here. Thanks

taylor