baby greek tortoise poop problem

penpolice

Location (City and/or State)
south korea
1618749567737-0.jpg1618749567737-1.jpg1618749567737-2.jpg
This is my baby greek tortoise's poop. he excreted it when he soaked. but I think it looks like something wrong. Is it symptom of protozoan or another problems?

He lose his appetite and I think his condition is not good :(

Please help me thx.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are the little white pearly things in the poop?
Give us a run down of his care. Temps, humidity, substrate, diet, kind of heating and lighting used, how old he is and how big.
Post pictures of the enclosure
Tell us more about what you are seeing that he isn't acting right.
Answeres needed for us to help you more.
Otherwise take a stool sample in to check for parasites

penpolice

south korea
What are the little white pearly things in the poop?
Give us a run down of his care. Temps, humidity, substrate, diet, kind of heating and lighting used, how old he is and how big.
Post pictures of the enclosure
Tell us more about what you are seeing that he isn't acting right.
Answeres needed for us to help you more.
Otherwise take a stool sample in to check for parasites
He is in indoor closed wood cage which size is 1200cm x 500cm x 500cm. Basking zone temp is 32 degree c and cool side is 22 degree c. Entire humidity is about 40%. Substrate is soil with some sand mix thing. diet is chicory, dandelion with some flowers. I use 100W heating bulb and 24W uvb lamp. His about 1 year old and his size is about 10cm. I don't know what the white thing of poop. I want to go vet for having some exam but we don't have reptile vet around here :(
Is it correct enclosure for my little tort? and what can i do for him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Basking should be 95F to 100F
The 24 watt uvb. It sounds like a Coil type bulb. Post a pic of the bulb and enclosure. If it's a Coil bulb stop using it they an cause eye problems and get a tube florescent uvb.
The halogens are not good either.
Call local vets and see if you can just bring in a stool sample to be checked. Even if they want to see the tort, you could bring him in, just don't let them treat him for anything except for parasites if they find any. Come here first for advice on what should be given if they want to treat him for anything else.

penpolice

south korea
Basking should be 95F to 100F
The 24 watt uvb. It sounds like a Coil type bulb. Post a pic of the bulb and enclosure. If it's a Coil bulb stop using it they an cause eye problems and get a tube florescent uvb.
The halogens are not good either.
Call local vets and see if you can just bring in a stool sample to be checked. Even if they want to see the tort, you could bring him in, just don't let them treat him for anything except for parasites if they find any. Come here first for advice on what should be given if they want to treat him for anything else.
Thank you for your help. Yes the uvb is coil type. I will change it as soon as possible. I think my best option is bring his stool to local vet. It must be long trip but I have to do it for my little guy. Thank you again for your help :) Please he doesn't have big problems.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get the bulb changes, get the temps where they should be and try to add a bigger variety to his diet and I would change the substrate so there is no sand as it causes impaction and with all those changes see if he improves and if his poop improves. If so you won't need the vet visit.
Good luck and keep us posted.

penpolice

south korea
Get the bulb changes, get the temps where they should be and try to add a bigger variety to his diet and I would change the substrate so there is no sand as it causes impaction and with all those changes see if he improves and if his poop improves. If so you won't need the vet visit.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you very much! I will change whole things in his enclosure and watch his improvement. I hope he will be fine.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Do you have Amazon there in S Korea? Can you order things from Amazon?

You might not be able to find the correct kind of UVB bulb that you need in a pet store.

If you have a big pet supply place that you can order from, that would help.

penpolice

south korea
Do you have Amazon there in S Korea? Can you order things from Amazon?

You might not be able to find the correct kind of UVB bulb that you need in a pet store.

If you have a big pet supply place that you can order from, that would help.
We don't have Amazon but I can order international order. I shoud be find something right things from there. Thank you for your advice!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Can you post photos of your enclosure and lighting please? It will make it a lot easier for us to recommend changes

I also recommend you read this care sheet by @Tom and compare it with your setup

penpolice

south korea
Can you post photos of your enclosure and lighting please? It will make it a lot easier for us to recommend changes

I also recommend you read this care sheet by @Tom and compare it with your setup
Okay! I don't have pictures right now. I will post them as soon as possible. Thank you for offering that link. I will compare my enclosure with that. Thank you very much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is in indoor closed wood cage which size is 1200cm x 500cm x 500cm. Basking zone temp is 32 degree c and cool side is 22 degree c. Entire humidity is about 40%. Substrate is soil with some sand mix thing. diet is chicory, dandelion with some flowers. I use 100W heating bulb and 24W uvb lamp. His about 1 year old and his size is about 10cm. I don't know what the white thing of poop. I want to go vet for having some exam but we don't have reptile vet around here :(
Is it correct enclosure for my little tort? and what can i do for him?
You are making nearly every mistake there is to make. I don't say that to be mean. I say it so that you'll know you need to make some changes ASAP.

1. That enclosure is WAY too small for a torotise that size. A four inch tortoise needs at least 4 times that amount of floor space.
2. Soil or sand should never be used as a substrate under tortoises. The soil could be something toxic, and the sand can cause impaction. Use compacted coco coir or orchid bark.
3. No moss. It does nothing and id an impaction risk.
4. No cfl type UV bulbs. Don't wait until you have a replacement. Turn it off now. ASAP. They can go weeks with no UV, but if that bulb is burning the tortoises eyes, it could blind him permanently.
5. I didn't see where you said your basking bulb was a halogen. Is it? It should be a regular incandescent flood bulb or round bulb.
6. Basking temp needs to be around 36-37C directly under the bulb.
7. Humidity should be 50-70% for a growing young tortoise.

Read the care sheet that Joe's mum linked, and follow it.

penpolice

south korea
You are making nearly every mistake there is to make. I don't say that to be mean. I say it so that you'll know you need to make some changes ASAP.

1. That enclosure is WAY too small for a torotise that size. A four inch tortoise needs at least 4 times that amount of floor space.
2. Soil or sand should never be used as a substrate under tortoises. The soil could be something toxic, and the sand can cause impaction. Use compacted coco coir or orchid bark.
3. No moss. It does nothing and id an impaction risk.
4. No cfl type UV bulbs. Don't wait until you have a replacement. Turn it off now. ASAP. They can go weeks with no UV, but if that bulb is burning the tortoises eyes, it could blind him permanently.
5. I didn't see where you said your basking bulb was a halogen. Is it? It should be a regular incandescent flood bulb or round bulb.
6. Basking temp needs to be around 36-37C directly under the bulb.
7. Humidity should be 50-70% for a growing young tortoise.

Read the care sheet that Joe's mum linked, and follow it.
Thank you for your advice! I think my whole enclosure settings are wrong :( I will change everything as you said and above link. Thank you very much. It is too sad what I use things are very normal thing in my country(S. Korea). I will notice these information to my friend and make them change as you said. Thank you for your help again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your advice! I think my whole enclosure settings are wrong :( I will change everything as you said and above link. Thank you very much. It is too sad what I use things are very normal thing in my country(S. Korea). I will notice these information to my friend and make them change as you said. Thank you for your help again!
It is like this all over the world. We've been doing a lot of things wrong for decades. Generation after generation has been doing the wrong things and then teaching those wrong things to the next generation. We are finally breaking that cycle.

Most of the advice you will find anywhere in the world from just about any source is that old wrong info.