Baby greek hasn't pooped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Az
Okay so i've had Hercules my baby golden greek for about a week and a half now, and I havn't yet found any feces in his enclosure. Right now he's still in his temporary "quarantine" bin which has paper towels as substrate (so as to make finding the poop easier), and some timothy hay for him to burrow in. I've been looking real hard to try and find some, but havn't had any luck... is he supposed to be pooping every day? He definitely eats every day and he has gained 2 grams already since I got him (34.3g on the 24th / 36.4g on the 3rd). That seems like a lot of growing in one week. Is the weight gain possibly from him being constipated or something? Also I soak him every couple days and he hasn't relieved himself in there either which I hear is pretty common.

Also I forgot to mention he did poop in his container on our way home from the reptile expo, and there is literally nothing he could have eaten to cause impaction since he has been with me so I don't know what the issue is...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises are pretty small, and their poop is likewise very small. Maybe you just can't find it. Also, it takes a long time for them to poop out today's meal. Depending upon their activity level, hydration and warmth, it may take what he eats today three or four days to make it all the way through the process from front to back end.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
Yea I know how small it is... like I said he pooped in the tupperware container he came in, but trust me I did not miss anything. I sifted through every bit of hay like a maniac looking for droppings :p. I'm hoping to get a stool sample to take to the vet just to ensure everything is as it should be, but it's proving very difficult. He's not very active. If he isn't eating he is sleeping unless I take him outside where he is very active. He's got good heat even when he's hiding away, but the humidity is a tad low. I do spray him several times a day and also soak him sometimes though.

It makes sense that an animal with such slow metabolism would take a while to produce anything, but he's been eating every day for 1.5 weeks and nothing. I guess theres a possibility I missed it, but I highly doubt it. If he is indeed constipated or impacted, what should I do? feed some pumpkin?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would soak him every day in luke warm water....also make certain that his temps are good...as this will help him to digest....

One thing...you said he is active when you take him outside....so he may have snuck a nugget past you then while out trucking around :p?

Also, if he is active outside maybe his temps need to be up'd a bit?

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
ascott said:
I would soak him every day in luke warm water....also make certain that his temps are good...as this will help him to digest....

One thing...you said he is active when you take him outside....so he may have snuck a nugget past you then while out trucking around :p?

Also, if he is active outside maybe his temps need to be up'd a bit?

Maybe he at a little rock or something, but I watch him like a hawk so I dont know. He never eats my weeds or grass or anything, just marches through the yard rather quickly and doesn't really stop for anything so I doubt he's eaten anything bad. I think the reason he's more active in the yard is becaue he's exposed and is looking around for something to crawl under. When he finds something he calms down and just sits under it. His tub is plenty warm ~80 at the coolest part and 95 at the basking spot which he rarely visits. It's about 90 where his food dish is.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, with all that you say here, I would say continue to feed him as you are, keep his temps where they are...I would still recommend soaking him each day in luke warm water ---as this is not going to harm anything but will help to get things moving... :p IMHO

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing we neglected to mention is that maybe he eats it. Tortoises do like to recycle.

jbean7916

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
One thing we neglected to mention is that maybe he eats it. Tortoises do like to recycle.

My thoughts exactly. My little guy will gobble it up before I ever find it!!!

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
emysemys said:

Interesting. I didn't know that. Maybe that's what's going on...

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
So Cal
That is so true about them Kuching their own poops. My little baby did this the other day and my daughter thought it was disgusting. I love to hear her tell that story.

SpeedyGontortoise said:
That is so true about them Kuching their own poops. My little baby did this the other day and my daughter thought it was disgusting. I love to hear her tell that story.

Oops, I meant to say munching.

Status
Not open for further replies.