Baby Greek Doesn't open eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
I have two baby Greek. One is fine but the other one barely open his eyes. His eyes doesn't seem swollen. He seems very sensitive to light and likes to hide in his substrate.

Should I be concerned? I tried turning of the UV bulb. Any other suggestions?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I would be concerned. It could just be vitamin A defiency or it could be the start of a RI. I would try seperating them and see if that helps. If he doesn't get any better than it's time to see a vet.

Danny

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
egyptiandan said:
I would be concerned. It could just be vitamin A defiency or it could be the start of a RI. I would try seperating them and see if that helps. If he doesn't get any better than it's time to see a vet.

Danny

Hi Danny,

What does RI stand for?

Thank you for your help

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
soundwave said:
I have two baby Greek. One is fine but the other one barely open his eyes. His eyes doesn't seem swollen. He seems very sensitive to light and likes to hide in his substrate.

Should I be concerned? I tried turning of the UV bulb. Any other suggestions?

I'd be even more concerned if he doesn't eat at all, which mean that his days are numbered unless you treat him ASAP.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
My little tort is getting better with everyone's helpful advice. I separated him, soaked him a few time a day, turn off the UVB(Repti Glo 5.0).

He has be more active and eating again. His eye are back to normal but I still have concerns about the UVB light. He doesn't like it. Should I switch to another bulb?

delicious

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I had babies which had both their eyes closed and could not eat properly. Daily soking in warm water, time out in the Sun will do wonders in a few weeks.

What do you mean he doesn't like the UVB light?

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
delicious said:
I had babies which had both their eyes closed and could not eat properly. Daily soking in warm water, time out in the Sun will do wonders in a few weeks.

What do you mean he doesn't like the UVB light?

Yes, he seems to to very sensitive to the UVB bulb. You was doing a lot better in the sunlight. I noticed that he was making a better attempt to eat when I was holding him in my hand.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your UV light might be to close to the substrate. How high is it from the substrate? Is it directly overhead or on the side of the enclosure?

Danny

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
egyptiandan said:
Your UV light might be to close to the substrate. How high is it from the substrate? Is it directly overhead or on the side of the enclosure?

Danny

It is about 12 inches and overhead. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Ton

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Try having it on just 4 hours a day and a regular florscent light on the rest of the time. You can also switch your basking light to a combination heat and UV light and than have the regular florscent light for more light.

Danny

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
When you talking about the combination heat and UV light, are you refering to Mercury Vapour? I was told that my baby greeks are too small to have MV bulb because it would fry them.

What is a safe distance for a basking (25 watt) and UVB (repti 5.0) for a baby greek?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The UVB bulb anywhere from 12 to 18 inches and you want a temperature of 90 to 95F right under the basking lamp, so you'll have to adjust the height of the lamp to get the range of temperatures.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have hatchling Greeks and they are under a MVB 100 watt that is about 14-16 inches from them and they are healthy and fine. I do use a thermometer and hydrometer to make sure temps and humidity is good. My hatchlings have been under this light since they have been 5 days old and they also spend time outside on weekends.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
egyptiandan said:

Danny

Hi Danny,

The vet confirmed it was Vitamin A dediency. He gave me Avian vitamin booster. I have instructions to give him .3 ml with oral syringe but it's hard get it into his mouth.

Any sugguestion on different technique? Would adding it into the water that he soaks in work? I tried adding it the food but he still doesn't eat that much.

Thank you for all your help

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Adding it to the water he soaks in is the best way. Thats what I do with all my hatchlings.

Danny

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Update on my baby Greek.

After taking everyones advice. My little tort is doing awesome. I found him play in water dish when I woke yesterday. Today he was Mazuri eating machine.

I'm very happy that eventually opens his eyes and eating normally again.

Thank for your advice Danny!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.