Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luna17

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, Georgia
Hello everyone I was wondering what other people thought about feeding your small tortoise baby food out of a jar. The ingredients on one of them that I have are just two ingredients carrots and water.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20171113_101554554_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171113_101554554_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20171110_233421688.jpg
    IMG_20171110_233421688.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
For a sick tortoise it can be used in the soaking water

Otherwise it has no place in the diet

Your tortoise needs to tear at food to keep its beak in shape. It also needs plenty of fibre - not pureed mush.

Feed unprocessed fresh food

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I will sometimes water some down and use it as a 'dressing' on foods that they aren't sure about eating. (The don't like chard much, but when I have a lot of it I dress it up a bit)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Carrots are not a good food for most species anyway.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello everyone I was wondering what other people thought about feeding your small tortoise baby food out of a jar. The ingredients on one of them that I have are just two ingredients carrots and water.

What do you think?
No baby food, please Mom...I'm a baby DINOSAUR.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Feeding baby food to tortoise is fine on occasion. It does no harm whatsoever and can provide the same vitamins and minerals as whole fresh vegetables. Bright colored, flavorful baby foods can be especially helpful to entice tortoises to eat.
Carrots are also fine as an occasional part of a healthy tortoises diet. They should not be fed constantly but then neither should any other one type of vegetable or green. Carrots are loaded with vitamin A as well as fiber and other vitamins and minerals. They should not be overlooked as an occasional part of a tortoises diet, just not as frequently or in large quantity.
It will be much more beneficial for your tortoise to feed small amounts of as large a variety of greens and vegetables as possible rather than to feed them a diet consisting of only a few types of foods that are deemed "acceptable". Variety gives them more exposure to a multitude of vitamins and minerals. No one food type should be considered a staple.

Bee62

Germany
A tortoise baby must use his beak to eat. In the wild nobody will chop their food or give him mashed baby food. That is unnatural. I would a healty tortoise never feed baby carrot food.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
price per weight of baby food is a lot more expensive than actual vegetable or commercial tortoise pellet. defiantly not gonna work for poor people like me