Baby fire skinks!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
One of my favorite things in the world.. Itty bitty baby skinks! These are the only two babies my pair produced last year. My gal had a weird year--gaining a huge fat store in her tail and not producing a single egg (that I know of) until early October. These fat, sassy hatchlings are now 2 months old and so much fun to watch.

I decided to try doing a photoshoot.. It was a bust, but it seems I managed to get away with a few decent pics. Enjoy!

DSCN0667.JPG
DSCN0682.JPG
DSCN0685.JPG
DSCN0692.JPG

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Not only are they beautiful, but you seem to be doing a great job of breeding, and raising them.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Nice job! When I was younger I had some Emerald swifts and Curly Tailed lizards. (Now Curly tails run wild here by the zillions.) The skinks we have here are dark. Blackish with bright blue tails. I don't know the name.

I see those darned curly-tailed's everywhere up north towards WPB. Out west near the glades here, I haven't seen a single one.

Nice job. Cute little lizards :).

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thank you! These guys represent the very first time I have ever artificially incubated lizard eggs, too, so I'm especially proud. The last 2 clutches I had hatch from this pair I just let incubate in their enclosure, in the dirt.. Which worked great, but doesn't quite have the same feeling of accomplishment. Haha.

They want to go home with you, Tom... ;)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Nice job! When I was younger I had some Emerald swifts and Curly Tailed lizards. (Now Curly tails run wild here by the zillions.) The skinks we have here are dark. Blackish with bright blue tails. I don't know the name.
Literally just blue tailed skinks. Those are so pretty! They're striped, right?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Continually amazed by these babies. Maybe it's youth, maybe it's because they're CBB, but they're so easy-going. Exact opposite from their parents, who want NOTHING to do with me.

One baby was out looking for food this afternoon, and didn't go scurrying off to hide when I pulled down their tub to feed them. So I decided to tong feed him.. Somewhere along the way, he wound up on my shoulder! Sat there quite contentedly, as long as I kept food coming..
20150130_141418.jpg
20150130_141535-1.jpg

The other is a little more shy, but did come out and let me lure him onto my hand to be tong-fed for a couple minutes.
20150130_142102-1.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have either of you ever tried Blatta lateralis? Red runners? I like them for smaller lizards. And I feed them to my fish too. South American cichlids.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I do have a lateralis colony, but they're much too fast and creepy for my tastes. Haha.

I've actually been debating whether to nix the lateralis colony completely, now that I've stopped breeding the golden skinks. It's really all I use them for anymore--those crazy tiny nymphs are great for the crazy tiny babies. (And still preferable to pinhead crix and fruit flies!)

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Have either of you ever tried Blatta lateralis? Red runners? I like them for smaller lizards. And I feed them to my fish too. South American cichlids.
I have had colonies of them in the past. Some lizards like them better, being they are more active. The problem for me is they are way too fast to deal with. Dubias are nice and slow moving and easier to feed.I also have a problem with wild American roaches. I make many traps out of soda bottles, and put them in my yard at night, during the warm season. I feed them to some lizards, but mostly feed them to my turtles.They are my Argentine Snakesnecks favorite food.