Baby Eastern Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliforniaDreamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Okay, I posted this same thing on another forum so if you have seen it before I apologize :) I am trying to get as many answers as possible.

I may or may not be getting a baby EBT from some people that I know. They are not caring for it properly, and I feel horrible for the poor little guy. I've only done about two nights of research on this (starting the day I seen him). This is the information that I have complied so far, it is from various sources. Please feel free to add anything you think I should know, and correct any information that is wrong or may be harmful.

Thank you for your time and help everyone!!

Enclosure: Originally I was going to keep the turtle in a breeder tank thats about 60 gallons. After reading more, it seems everyone is suggesting something more along the lines of a very large rubbermaid tub (or anything large and isn't glass). Temporarily I guess i'll find the biggest tub I can afford and then i'll probably end up just converting the inside of one of my closets. I believe the closet i'd use is about 5ft long, and a little under 2ft wide. Sound okay? Once he gets larger, I will eventually give him an outdoor enclosure. Honeslty I might just start with the converted closet, it depends on all the costs.

Decor: small rocks, live plants. --- On that note, what plants are best suited for them?

Substrate: Peat moss. Kept lightly moist (enough to be damp, not soaked). As stated above, I will want live plants in the enclosure, what would be best for them and the turtle? Non fertilized soil covered with moss? What is really the best type of substrate for my indoor enclosure?

Lighting Requirements: UVB Light, Heat Light --- Anyone know of some good brands? Anything special I should know?

Enclosure Temperature: Basking Zone 85°-90°/Cool Side 75°-80°

Water: Dish that the turtle can easily soak in, cleaned daily. Best option is probably a large paint roller tray.

Food: I understand that while they are younger, they need to be on a mainly protein diet. What types of worms do you all use? Someone told me night crawlers and earth worms work well. I've also heard about super worms. These have hard shells though, right? Was thinking I should wait until the turtle is a little larger for those... or will it just be okay? I really have no idea. Are there any types of worms/insects I should avoid? I was told to not feed broccoli and spinach as they block calcium absortion. Someone also said to avoid constantly feeding young turtles fruit as the sugar can cause growth problems with their shells. I read that they need to be fed every other day while young.

Suppliments: Calcium to prevent metabolic disease. Brands, please? If you could tell me why you prefer them that would be great. I saw a video that suggested cod liver oil dripped onto the food as well. (2x a week) I think this was for the viatmin a.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I keep my hatchling/juveniles in a glass breeder tank. I put paper around the outside. I choose this instead of using a rubbermaid because if I cover the screen top with foil (with holes cut out for lights) it holds the heat and humidity in better. I live in a cold climate....

For substrate when they are little I use just New Zealand long fibred sphagnum moss a few inches deep, kept damp. When they are bigger and need a larger enclosure I add other things to the substrate (coco coir, peat moss, etc.) because the sphagnum moss by itself can be expensive for a larger enclosure.

For UVB use 5.0, nothing higher. Reptiglo is what I use.

The temps you mention are perfect.

For water I use a plastic plant saucer, the right size for the turtle.

I fed mine daily when they were really young. They do like mostly protein when younger, but offer fruits and veggies anyway. Mine were eating it regularly by six months old. I got them used to it by mashing it into soaked reptomin sticks. I used red wigglers for baby boxies and now I use nightcrawlers. I do feed superworms, but not to babies. Fruit is not a problem for boxies. I feed it at every meal. I use a 50% protein, 25% fruit, and 25% veggies ratio.

For supplements....I keep a cuttlebone in the enclosure at all times to nibble on when they want. Reptivite multi vitmains once or twice a week is all that is needed other than that. I only use cod liver oil if I suspect there is a problem developing. Otherwise sweet potatoes and carrots are great for vitamin A.

CaliforniaDreamin

5 Year Member
California
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help. I really know nothing about turtles. I have been doing as much reading as possible, i'm not even sure I can convince them to give the little guy up. Just hopeful... I just talked to the lady today and she said her son still hasn't made up his mind.... :/ If they decide to keep him, i'm going to suggest a bunch of stuff be changed in his enclosure (including his enclosure...)

Status
Not open for further replies.