Baby eastern box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

animal_lvr

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I have a baby eastern box turtle that is not eating much. I have seen him nibble here and there but he has not pooped in two days. It is hard for me to tell if he is actually eating anything that I give him unless I see him doing it. I was reading on this site about doing baby food soaks and I plan to do that later tonight after work. What else should I be trying to feed him? I have tried grapes, strawberries, box turtle food pellets, dried meal worms, zuchinni, green peppers and canned dog food (venison). I think that maybe I am not giving him enough variety or that his temp is not high enough in his enclosure. Can anyone offer some advice. I want to do everything I can for him. Is there anything else that I can be doing? What is the proper light for him? I read that they can get easily dehydrated. His substrate is fir bark and soil with a water dish and hideaway. I also have some sphagnum moss in there for him.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
When they're young, they really prefer live food. Pill bugs, cut up worms, tiny crickets. Mine like softened reptomin sticks as well.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

I agree that you need to try something that is alive, like red wigglers, wax worms, pill bugs (rollie pollies) etc...

animal_lvr

5 Year Member
Ok, thanks. I guess I will need to order some worms online because our petsmart only has crickets. I read that you have to be careful what kind of live food you feed them because crickets, for instance, will try to feed on the baby turtles skin. Is this true? He is burrowing right now, I just checked on him. I need to get the proper light for him as well. What is the best light and what wattage for a baby EBT? Thank you for all of your help. I really do not want him to get weak from not eating. How much should a baby be consuming a day?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi animal_lvr:

Welcome to the Forum!!

Baby box turtles hide a lot. Plus, they dehydrate quite easily and quickly. You need to keep your substrate pretty moist, and give him a soak in warm water every day. I drop some black worms into the soaking water every morning. Black worms are those tiny little worms you buy in a tropical fish store. They used to be called tubifex worms. I believe TerryO uses the frozen blood worms in her soaking water. I've never tried that. Our Petsmart here in Central California sells the frozen blood worms, so you may want to check that out.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

animal_lvr

5 Year Member
My name is Kristen. My turtles name is Landon. Anyway, I soaked Landon in carrot baby food & water last night. He seemed to really enjoy it, he ducked his head under (as far as he could) and after I took him out and placed him back in his enclousure he burrowed deep and went to sleep I assume. Then this morning I soaked him in squash baby food & water while I changed out his substrate. He seemed to like that too, ducking his head under. Then I fed him some spring mix with cantaloupe and he nibbled on the cantaloupe. I will leave it in there and see if he eats more of it. I might try an egg omelet with carrots for him tonight. I just want him to eat.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Most of my babies won't touch the greens or much fruit at all, other than a taste here and there. Go with the red wigglers and pill bugs or the tiny meal worms even. They want to see something moving. :)
My petsmart carries the red wigglers but you have to ask someone for them. They are not out where you can see them.
The pill bugs I just find in my yard.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
I have always dropped several Reptomin sticks in the water when they get their daily bath.. They tend to eat a few sticks while they are nice and warm taking their bath. It has always worked with all babies I have had. Just a thought.

I also use little wax worms, small snails, baby slugs(if you positive no one has used any snail bait).
If you can't find the right food at the big box pet stores (Petco, Petsmart, etc) try the local Mom and Pop pet stores in your area. They usually have more things you need, and are traditionally a touch more knowledgeable. Mine carries all kinds of small wiggling bugs, worms and such that my turtles love!

Good Luck!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
I had a hard time getting my hatchlings to eat or at least i wasnt seeing them eat, i placed small piched worms in the water left them on a flat rock, put reptomin in the water or pre softend it and placed it on the feeding station, i tried covering the food so they felt secure, but i just wasnt seeing it. Eventually i was just pinching worms in front of them and hoping they would eat. Well finally i saw them eating the following morning both of them one where the worm crawled to it and the other crawled to the mass of old left over worms, they'll eat when you least expect them to, Hopfully.

animal_lvr

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your suggestions and help. Landon is eating better and pooping too. He likes the baby food soaks (w/o vitamins). I soak him usually twice a day and when I put him back into his enclosure he eats. Also I misted the enclosure this morning and he came up from burrowing which I like better than digging him out (don't want to stress him). I just have to make sure I am giving him enough protein. He ate some eggs the other day and I want to boil him some chicken. He ate some strawberry this morning along with a little carrot, bell pepper, tomato mix. He also always has box turtle pellets and baby reptomin (pre-soaked) available.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You have to ask pet store employees for some things like worms because pet stores keep them out of public view.

Status
Not open for further replies.