Baby desert tortoises

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I sent them an email letting them know that if anyone from the Department of Fish and Wildlife reads their ad they could be in big trouble. The fine for selling desert tortoises is up to $10,000 per sale. You can'g get around it by calling it a "re-homing" fee. Its still against the law. And the person who buys them is also subject to the fine.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thank you. I don't know the laws about desert tortoises to well so thought I'd post it on here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ad has been "deleted by its author".

Were they really DTs? Or sulcatas that someone was calling a "desert" tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They were desert tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They were desert tortoises.

I just don't understand some people... Who does not know that you can't "sell" DTs? Or were they intentionally breaking the law for profit? Sheesh. Glad they took the ad down. I don't want anybody stirring up the authorities when it comes to any kind of tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think they thought they could get around the "selling" aspect by calling it a re-homing fee. I set them straight on that too.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Now excuse my ignorance and I know it's illegal to buy one or capture one in the wild. But then how does a person get a hold of one??? Gift?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Also I understand it's illegal to release them back in the wild? Correct me if I'm wrong.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
As I understand it, various non profits work with the various states in which the tortoises are native to place DTs into homes for adoption. You, of course, must meet certain criteria. Yvonne does this sort of work in California, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure she can direct you to the proper channels. You're lucky that you live in the Golden State, where so long as you're a competent keeper and can demonstrate it, getting your hands on a DT is relatively easy. Here in Texas, you have to drive to Houston to take a course in reptile husbandry, after which you must pass a multi-tiered inspection where you must demonstrate your ability to keep water turtles, snakes, and lizards (this is, in my opinion, the most asinine aspect of the bureaucratic process), fill out a litany of forms that must be completely mistake free lest you wish to be punished with having to fill out additional forms, and after all of that, you can keep a Texas tortoise after you've waited for several years. It is a true shame that Texas doesn't change these idiotic laws to more closely mirror those of California and Arizona, though the South Texas Herp Society is always petitioning the dysfunctional state legislatures to change these procedures, making it so that more qualified keepers can enjoy and help foster this precious native species.

Also, what I don't understand about fools who would post a DT for sale is this: why only $35? I mean, they're engaged in a black market crime with some serious fines and possible jail time attached. I mean, did they steal those tortoises? How did they acquire them without knowing the laws concerning their legal maintenance? All of that risk over $35. I'm not jumping to any harsh judgments concerning their intelligence or regard for the law, but I just don't understand how someone could risk so much over so little with a species that requires more than a beginner's knowledge concerning husbandry and legality.

T.G.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
The ad said they had eggs still in the incubator and 15 had hatched. I think this person had a pair that bred and probably didn't know the rules that well. Hence the low rehoming fee. I eventually want one. Once I get a bigger place. But I also want to do it without breaking the law.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is perfectly legal to adopt them. And you then apply for a permit from the DFW. In California there is no limit on how many you can have. You just can't take them from the wild, buy or sell them, or artificially incubate the eggs. Most of the rescues and clubs in California have them to adopt. I generally have 8 or 10 males a year looking for homes.