Baby Cherry Head with plastron fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkrebellion

5 Year Member
Hi all!

I'm new to this forum and to owning a tortoise! I bought a four month old cherry head at an expo weekend before last and I believe he has a plastron fungus. It was like that when I got him but didn't realize it was a problem until late last night (and couldn't run to the store). I thought I'd done enough research before purchasing him, but I guess not ): Here is the situation:

I got him on Saturday, October 13 at an expo. He wasn't opening his eyes but we put him on a table, sprayed him, and put food in front of him and he opened his eyes and started eating. A couple days later he hadn't opened his eyes again so I soaked him and they opened and he ate again (yay)! Since then I've been unable to get him to open his eyes or eat even with soaking so I started to do some research and found pictures of tortoises with plastron fungus and he looks exactly the same. His plastron is also a bit soft when I press but I thought it was hinges when I first got him (do redfoots even have plastron hinges?). So...

I plan on getting him Betadine, 1% Clotrimazole. Is it correct to put the Betadine on a soft toothbrush, wash the infected area, then apply the Clotrimazole? Is it okay to put him back in his enclosure the same as it was, or do I need to change the substrate.

For a quick check on my husbandry, my ambient temps are low 80's, my basking temp is just below 90 and my humidity is usually between 50 and 60. I have cypress mulch and a shallow water dish and his food is on a little plastic tray (with calcium sprinkles). He also has a UVB light on him for about twelve hours a day.

Sorry for the giant post! I'm very concerned about him and will take him to the vet in a couple days, but in the meantime I would like to start some sort of treatment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Sharkrebellion!

Your plan sounds fine with me. I doubt your husbandry is what caused the fungus. Only use the Betadyn once, as it inhibits the growth of new cells. Your baby isn't opening his eyes because he's being kept too dry...which is a good thing until you get the fungus cleared up. Maybe you can add some sphagnum moss to his hiding place and keep it moist. He can burrow into the moss and it will help keep him moist.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Welcome and congrats on getting a new tortoise:) sorry to hear about the fungus and hopefully you will get that cleared right up.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
My cherries has shell rot when they first came to me. I used betadine and chlorhexidine, but the Clotrimazole is what really did the trick. Today if I have an issue with it, I clean it gently with chlorhexidine, let it dry well, and then apply the Clotrimazole. Good luck!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Up your humidity to a minimum of 70%, 50-60% may be related to the eyes not opening.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Eye problems are usually the result of dehydration. up the humidity, and the problem will more than likely go away.......

Clotrimazole should be used exclusively. Betadine can harm new growth, and it really is not needed. Any Fungus should be able to be wiped off within hours of applying Clotrimazole. Just an FYI, a lot of the off brands have not been working as well as the name brand stuff, so keep that in mind.

sharkrebellion

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the information.

Unfortunately when I can home from work today, I saw that he'd gotten himself stuck between the humidity gauge, his water dish and the side of his enclosure (I've rearranged everything now so there's nowhere to get stuck). I don't know how long he was there for, but he seemed incredibly weak when I picked him up ): I'm very concerned. He's soaking right now. I hope he can pull through...

Starting fungal treatment tonight...

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
You may consider taking the tort to a vet? There is a good list here on the forum.

sharkrebellion

5 Year Member
Yeah I mentioned in my first post that I will be taking him to the vet. I'm going to take him in tomorrow. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to get his strength up?

TStock

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I am an avid tortoise/turtle lover. I also bought a redfoot hatchling from Glade Herp Farm. She also has the fungus. I am treating it. I thought it was my fault. I was mortified.
TS

sharkrebellion

5 Year Member
Bad news everyone. He didn't make it. I woke up this morning to take him to the vet but he had passed sometime in the night. Thanks for the advice.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
sharkrebellion said:
Bad news everyone. He didn't make it. I woke up this morning to take him to the vet but he had passed sometime in the night. Thanks for the advice.

So sorry:(

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I am so sorry for your loss, sending healing thoughts your way.

TStock said:
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I am an avid tortoise/turtle lover. I also bought a redfoot hatchling from Glade Herp Farm. She also has the fungus. I am treating it. I thought it was my fault. I was mortified.
TS

Good luck to you, and I would let the people you got her from know! That's just awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.