Baby Cherry death, stuffed w/ coco coir

Kadels

5 Year Member
I cannot provide any insight into what happened, but I am very sorry for your loss. I know how devastating it is to lose a fur-baby (no fur in this case), and to have friends who do not understand. I LOVE the basket you put him in - it is absolutely beautiful. I hope your heart starts to heal.

Diamond

Location (City and/or State)
phoenix,az
So sorry for your loss. I love the basket you have for him. Things happen and sometimes we never know the answer which makes it hard. You did nothing wrong, it was just an unfortunate thing. I hope when you heal you will want another one. Thanks for sharing your story. It will help others. :<3::tort:

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
Condolences. Can you please take multiple pictures of your enclosure and lighting setup so we can see whether any other factors may have contributed to your tortoise demise?

Ingesting a small amount of substrate such as coco coir is often safe. However, large quantities of any substrate can be lethal as you have experienced yourself. I myself have read and seen these events happen with lizards as well as snakes.

I've always wondered why this stuff "should" be any safer than ground corn cobs(which is NOT safe)? Seems about as safe as plastic and sea birds.