1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Baby Canoli update! Cute Pictures, enclosure specs, growth chart

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Mortis_thetortoise, Jan 17, 2017.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Mortis_thetortoise

Mortis_thetortoise Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    west central Florida
    Hello some updates on my baby Canoli. December 6 2016 I started keeping track of soaking temps humidity etc after about 2 months of a pretty dry start and poor diet. since then been reading non stop and learning all i can and started becoming a better tortoise keeper and been learning more everyday from everyone on here! on 12/6 she was 50g. Today 1/18 she is 62.5g. learning more feeding her fresh dandelion, collard greens, endive, turnip greens, hibiscus, spineless cacti , red Malabar spinach and other garden greens and grasses and soaking atleast once a day. Still trying to get humidity up, currently around 63% check out the pictures below
    Fredkas and Brendelwood like this.
  2. Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Some pictures of canoli she loves her soaks. If she's in the hide when I start spraying shell come out and check it out

Attached Files:

PJay, Kasia and Brendelwood like this.
  3. Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
    The dreaded enclosure critique ...

A small 2x4 modified ginuea pig cage ( I know it's small and will be quickly outgrown and likely too small currently. A new one is currently in the works . To be ready within the next month or two. cage is economically wraped to hold in humidity and heat.
    100w uvb / heat lamp ( I live in FL so canoli gets to stretch in the garden between cold fronts during the winter) and 60w ceramic heat emmiter on a hydrofarm thermostat. Hydrofarm min/max temp/humidity thing not pictured as well.

Set to 85F with the probe near the far corner. Max reaches 88 low 78 if I have the door open cleaning up etc then climbs up quickly once closed. 63% humidity, still working on that, have a deli container cut and covered for a humid hide with another container dug in and covered with dirt to hold extra humidity. I have a third container filled 1/2 with water in hopes for more humidity. All placed near the heat rock to keep warm at night.

With the temp gun
    Hottest temp in enclosure is around 87-98(under light on top of heat rock)
    Cool side and in the hide is pretty consistently at 86 as is usually the top of the shell.

Attached Files:

El tortuga, PJay and Brendelwood like this.
  4. Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
    Heres one of my graphs I made tracking the three day weight (thin solid line) and the weekly weight (thick black line)

Improved diet and regular soaks. Canoli seems to be a happy tortoise. Bowel movements looking healthy, eating a lot of healthy food and very active and alert!

Excited for the days to come !

If you read everything til now thanks ! Any feedback is appreciated ! Comments , questions , complaints etc ....go!

Attached Files:

Fredkas and PJay like this.
  5. dutchkimberly

dutchkimberly New Member

Great! Happy for you and little canoli.
  6. Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
    scale stopped working couple days ago get paid tuesday getting a scale and back on track. still growing, eating and being a healthy and happy baby tortoise