Baby box turtle help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mky2k

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New Jersey
Hey guys, I think I've mentioned it before, but I was planning on getting a baby box turtle over the winter. So today, when I looked in my turtle pen while talking to my dad, I look down and see a little turtle floating in the water bowl (she was not floating, she was actually in the middle of the water, sunken down a little bit). I scooped her up and put her in a little pen with dirt. I looked around and found 2 more. I found their nest, found some egg shells, and think I saw some more unhatched ones. I'm going to try to put a screen around the nest. We've gotten a nice and big plastic box, put an inch of dirt into it, and some shelter. We're going to try to screen the top so we can leave them outside during the day while not being worried about predators. We brought them in for the night, and are going to take care of them in the morning. And tomorrow is my first day of school! Ugh!

b8245d90.jpg
[/img]
The one to the far left is the first one I found, the one above that is the second, and the last one is the third. Please guys, haven't dealt with first-day hatchlings before! Any advice is appreciated!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You will need a shallow water dish like a coffee lid. Don't expect them to eat for awhile, maybe two or three weeks. Try pill bugs and cut up worms for food. They'll need a bit of heat, and UVB light. So basically warm and moist. I soak mine daily, just to make sure the get a drink every day. Lucky you.

Mky2k

5 Year Member
Central New Jersey
I soaked them already, the dish is taken care of, and I'm working on getting a UVB bulb.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep mine as semi-aquatics for a while. I offer soaked trout chow - but I leave it and walk away. They don't like to eat while being watched.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
They are generally semi aquatic to aquatic until doming starts. They are a bit like spotted turtles at that stage. The will need UVB light and a heat lamp/che (though I generally use heat lamps).

stillframeband

10 Year Member!
Arkansas
Congrats, good luck with them!
Same thing as the others have said, UVB/heat and super-humid to semi-aquatic setup worked for me...I fed cut up worms (of all kinds, just make sure they're tiny and wiggling!), and after a few weeks I had a lot of success with small crickets, too (that's fun to watch :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.