Baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

animallover1999

5 Year Member
After I feed my bearded dragon, i place her on the edge of the water bowl to encourage her to drink from it. I usually feed her at night before i go to bed. i spray her everyday after she eats too. So, she decided to go into the water bowl. She sleeps there all night. She is an old baby, not quite a juevenile. So there for she fits completely in the "Dragon lagoon". She keeps her head propped up on the end of the lagoon and has one arm hanging out. She sleeps there all night. She would sleep there a lot longer if i didnt move her out of it in the morning. She doesnt do this everynight.

Will this cause skin problems, health problems, etc?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't know if it will or won't, but I wouldn't do it.

Also, I'd feed your beardie earlier in the day, so it can sit and bask and digest all day. I wouldn't want a big meal sitting in a cold belly all night personally.

Just my thoughts on the matter...

ianedward1

5 Year Member
Georgia
They can develop respiratory infections if they are allowed to be overexposed to humidity and not get enough heat to dry out. I haven't really ever heard of one completely sleeping in water like that before

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with all above. I wouldn't let him sleep in it and I would surely not feed him so late.

BlueMorpho

5 Year Member
Probably not good to let him sit in water, both because of potential skin problems and respiratory ones.
Beardies don't tend to drink much. The best ways to keep them hydrated is to bathe them at least once a week (I bathe my sub-adult daily because that's the only way she'll poop, and my 6-month-old every second or third day), or offer them water droplets from your finger (if he's not a biter) or an oral syringe. Another great way is to spritz his greens with water before serving them, or offer fruits and veggies with a substantial water content.
Directly after eating, though, it's best to let him bask so that he can digest properly. :)
Good luck!

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
My old beardie did that too!! And he had problems breathing due to sleeping in water and he died soon after!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.