Babies Hatching Out Of The Ground

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Very cool I've wondered about trying that here. I've heard some say you get stronger hatchlings that way. I wonder if you will see any difference.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very cool I've wondered about trying that here. I've heard some say you get stronger hatchlings that way. I wonder if you will see any difference.
I don't know if it would work up north. You need several months of consistent hot temps. We are around 100 every day here in summer with nights of 65-75.

I've heard the "stronger baby" thing too, and I can tell you from repeated first hand comparisons: It is the opposite. These babies are weaker, scared, fragile, dehydrated, less vigorous, lighter, and it takes weeks to get them going as strong as properly started incubator hatched babies. I think the people who say this are the people who dry start their babies, and/or leave their hatchlings in the incubator for a week while they absorb their yolk sacs, instead of using a brooder box. Ground hatched babies are better off than dry started babies, but they are not better off than correctly started incubated babies. Not even close.

Here is another point to ponder: The females lay 25-30 eggs per clutch. Why did only 10 hatch and make it to the surface? I've seen as few as 6 and as many as 14 from ground hatched clutches. When I incubate the eggs I get 90%+ hatch rates. Sometimes 100% hatch rates, and all of the babies hatch out large, heavy, active, hungry and very robust.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
@EllieMay I'm going to pick up the clutch on Sunday...and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll go through the ranch with a fine tooth comb to see if @Tom missed any! ;)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Haaahaaa!!! Y’all are too funny... I sure wish I was closer so I could be the 3rd eye for you..but I will be watching for their pics:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Were you watching the nest or was it a surprise?
I didn't know that I had missed a nest. It was a surprise. Sometimes a female will lay while I'm at work and no one notices it. When they are allowed to nest undisturbed they are very good at hiding the nesting location. If you don't know it is there, you won't notice it.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Cool surprise! I've had a couple of those surprises this year as well.

Interesting thoughts about ground hatched vs. incubated. My experiences vary. My leopards are housed in a large area of my yard and different areas receive more moisture than others. I usually only leave them in the ground until spring when I dig them up, but the last couple of years I've been unable to locate some of the nests, so I've had to wait until they hatch. The differences between hatchlings that were laid in the dryer areas, vs. eggs that were laid in the lawn are remarkable. This year, the lawn hatchlings were nearly twice the size of the dry ground hatchlings. Even the patterns and shell colors are noticeably different. They're all a few weeks old now, and the differences between the two types continue. The lawn hatchlings are smoother and are growing faster, whereas the dry ground hatchlings are not as smooth and are not growing at the same rate. There are notable differences in activity levels between the two as well. I can post pictures on your thread if you'd like.

I'm not trying to make an argument of natural incubation, actually the opposite I guess. Just trying to point out that the incubation process (whichever method it may be) can have a significant impact on how the tortoise develops and behaves. In most cases, it is better to artificial incubate since the process can be controlled and monitored, whereas natural incubation cannot. There may be some truth to the statement that ground hatchlings are more robust than those that are artificially incubated, but it is more than likely not that simple to determine.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Cool surprise! I've had a couple of those surprises this year as well.

Interesting thoughts about ground hatched vs. incubated. My experiences vary. My leopards are housed in a large area of my yard and different areas receive more moisture than others. I usually only leave them in the ground until spring when I dig them up, but the last couple of years I've been unable to locate some of the nests, so I've had to wait until they hatch. The differences between hatchlings that were laid in the dryer areas, vs. eggs that were laid in the lawn are remarkable. This year, the lawn hatchlings were nearly twice the size of the dry ground hatchlings. Even the patterns and shell colors are noticeably different. They're all a few weeks old now, and the differences between the two types continue. The lawn hatchlings are smoother and are growing faster, whereas the dry ground hatchlings are not as smooth and are not growing at the same rate. There are notable differences in activity levels between the two as well. I can post pictures on your thread if you'd like.

I'm not trying to make an argument of natural incubation, actually the opposite I guess. Just trying to point out that the incubation process (whichever method it may be) can have a significant impact on how the tortoise develops and behaves. In most cases, it is better to artificial incubate since the process can be controlled and monitored, whereas natural incubation cannot. There may be some truth to the statement that ground hatchlings are more robust than those that are artificially incubated, but it is more than likely not that simple to determine.

I know Id love to see pictures!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I didn't know that I had missed a nest. It was a surprise. Sometimes a female will lay while I'm at work and no one notices it. When they are allowed to nest undisturbed they are very good at hiding the nesting location. If you don't know it is there, you won't notice it.

I can just imagine what a all encompassing job your ranch must be.... especially outside another job. Never a dull moment:)

SheLLife

Kentucky
I don't know if it would work up north. You need several months of consistent hot temps. We are around 100 every day here in summer with nights of 65-75.

I've heard the "stronger baby" thing too, and I can tell you from repeated first hand comparisons: It is the opposite. These babies are weaker, scared, fragile, dehydrated, less vigorous, lighter, and it takes weeks to get them going as strong as properly started incubator hatched babies. I think the people who say this are the people who dry start their babies, and/or leave their hatchlings in the incubator for a week while they absorb their yolk sacs, instead of using a brooder box. Ground hatched babies are better off than dry started babies, but they are not better off than correctly started incubated babies. Not even close.

Here is another point to ponder: The females lay 25-30 eggs per clutch. Why did only 10 hatch and make it to the surface? I've seen as few as 6 and as many as 14 from ground hatched clutches. When I incubate the eggs I get 90%+ hatch rates. Sometimes 100% hatch rates, and all of the babies hatch out large, heavy, active, hungry and very robust.
What is "dry starting" hatchlings? It even sounds terrible! Sounds all wrong!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is "dry starting" hatchlings? It even sounds terrible! Sounds all wrong!
Most breeders are under the mistaken idea that this is a desert species and needs to be started on dry substrate in a dry enclosure. They will even go so far as to say a water bowl will add too much humidity and make them sick, or that they get all their water from their food. All of this is false and the opposite of the truth. They hatch at the start of the rainy season over there in Africa. Its hot wet, rainy and extremely humid. There are puddles and marshes and green growing food everywhere. Many babies die every year because of this incorrect misinformation that has bee parroted for 3 decades.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
Looky what popped out of the ground yesterday:
View attachment 252702
View attachment 252703

If the tortoise hatched out from ground. They should be all hatch out. My female leg egg all summer long and every where. I live in SoCal during summer female sulcata lay egg (my record) at latest time were 11pm. I don’t even notice they actually lay the egg and buried them perfectly. The baby from your pictures, looks like they are at lest 30 days old plus the 4-9 days yolk suck off period. If you can’t find anymore baby’s, most likely they were eaten by wild bird or other animals.

My suggestions is place some hiding stuff during breeding season like some hay near wet area. You might be able to find more surprise.